Automatic for Defender Td5?

Is there such thing as an automatic gearbox for the Defender Td5? I have a

110 TD5 and I only use it on-road and do a lot of city and highway driving. Is there a way to convert the R380 gearbox into an automatic?

Also, is it possible to retrofit a cruise control system into it?

Thank you.

Kent

Reply to
kent shih

Hey Pantelis!

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if LR actually sells a cruise control kit?

cheers, Kent

Reply to
kent shih

Kent Hi,

LR must be able to provide you with all the hardware required but I am absolutely sure you will have to sell your house, cars and relatives to buy it (unless you have lots of houses, cars and relatives)

Being serious I believe the prices for the components bought through LR spare parts retailers will be extremely expensive.

Alternatively may I propose you have a look here?

I have installed a factory looks kit on a Discovery Mpi (the 2.000cc petrol engined one) back in 1994 and it worked extremely nicely. The operation of a cruise control may be different from that of a petrol engined car though but I think that the TD5 will be able to operate similarly to a petrol engine since the engine provides an rpm signal to the ECU. As for the benefits of a cruise control system..... I believe you will find it very useful if you travel on highways for extended periods of time.

Hope this will be of assistance. Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hello there, Fitting a cruise-control is difficult because the cruise control is mostly software in a Td5 engine. To fit an "old-fashion" cruise control is impossible because the Td5 engine is "drive by wire" (no cable to connect to the sevo) I do not say that is is impossible to fit a cruise-control without original parts, but some electronic skills are usefull. Roger. "Pantelis Giamarellos" schreef in bericht news:bkgvmg$1plb4$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-196901.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Roger