Auxilliary heater & Rear aircon advise please.

I am researching into buying a late model Discovery II and wanted to find out a bit more about the auxiliary heaters. I have a kenlowe pre heater on my 300tdi running from a timer switch, and this works a treat. Does the fitted auxiliary heater run from a timer ? How much fuel does it use, with the cost of diesel it may be cheaper to transfer the kenlowe.

On a different note, does rear air-con make much difference

Thanks in anticipation Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Dean

If what you are asking is, does it work, the answer is yes, very much so. On a hot day, rear seat passengers were very grateful. Does it make a difference to you as the driver, no. :-)

Reply to
Rich B

The factory option fit auxiliary fuel burning heater on Disco II's is designed as part of a cold climate pack, it only operates when the engine is running and the outside air temperature is at or below 5 degrees centigrade. There is no timer option, and it's operation is entirely automatic, there are no user controls at all. It's designed to enable quicker warmup and maintain coolant temperature on cold days, so heat is available in the cabin, as diesels run colder than petrols models, hence it's not available as an option on the petrol models. It consumes 1 litre of fuel/hour at full burn rate, though as it's automatically thermostat controlled it's real consumption is probably lower. It's made by Webasto specially for Landrover, I did contact them asking if there is a retro fit control panel available to enable the unit to run under manual and/or timer control, but despite asking several times via their website, I never had any replies. If anyone else knows if there's a manual control pack available like on their retro fit models, let me know too!

Cheers,

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler