Backlight gone in clock

Hi,

Does anybody know how to get the clock out of a Discovery TD5? The backlight has gone on mine and I would like to replace it.

Thanks Terry

Reply to
nemo2

Hi Terry.

Seems both you and I have the same problem but it seems nobody is able to help. I am going to try and venture down the path of taking it out this weekend. Have read on one of the groups that it's a bum job bit it is irritating enough for me to attempt it. Will let you know the outcome.

Mark

nemo2 wrote:

Reply to
m_asmith

The Land Rover Workshop Manual just says 'To remove the cigar lighter or clock press in the retaining tags and push the unit out from the rear of the panel'. This does assume that you have removed the centre consol and mounting panel first though!

You can prise the clock out from the front of the panel but be careful not to damage the clock or the surround if you insert a screwdriver blade. I did it on my TD5 to replace the bulb but can't remember exactly how. I think that the tags are on the top and bottom of the clock.

The bulb is easy to replace once the clock is out as it is mounted in a twist in holder.

Hope this helps

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Mark and Patrick Hi,

If your Disco TD5 is similar to the previous Discovery model (1995 up to

1998 model years) then it is possible to remove the clock by carefully using a flat screwdriver.

The best and safest way though is to remove the coin holder and the ashtray, undo the five (or maybe six, I do not remember exactly now) that hold the center console in its place and then press the metallic tabs that hold the clock on its frame.

Changing the bulb is very easy, you just have to have a replacement bulb ready. On certain cars the bulb is welded on to the "twist in" holder but if you have a welding gun you can remove the burnt one and replace it with the new one.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos