bad running RR- Any help appreciated

Any help appreciated !

I have a d reg classic 3.5 auto with fuel injection and am having problems with long distance cruseing .if im on a road wher I can keep a constant speed say 50-55mph after about half a mile at a constant speed the car starts to stutter and slow down , can hear what I think is petrol going in to the exhaust manifold and getting burnt ie like a small backfire but only on the passenger side . if I then come to a junction and stop it runs lumpy coughing and spluttering for about 10 seconds and then sorts its self out and runs fine .

I have replaced the dissy, cap rotor arm , ht leads , spark plugs ,coil , amp, and some of the ignition wiring

Any idea's ?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
itcosthowmuch

might be worth trying a replacement coolant temp sensor, it tells the ECU how hot your engine is, if this isn't working properly you tend to be overfueld with the same symptoms, and these are a known problem.

It screws in the top of the block on the right hand side of the extra air valve as you look at the front of the engine, you'll find two sensors there, the temp sensor is the rear of the two. Not an expensive part (£12 or so ) and worth trying that before air mass meters and such.

Alan M.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Oh, I've been here.... And back again....

The 101 did this for months and I went through the fuelling and ignition system (completely replaced both, including fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, distributor, fuel lines etc etc etc).

I'd have a good look at the inlet manifold. The 101 was pulling air through there when the engine was hot and under any kind of load, thus running lean and backfiring then eventually just stopping completely.

10-15 minutes rest and it was OK for a little while, then repeat....
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around 20 Apr 2005 04:43:59 -0700, "itcosthowmuch" enlightened us thusly:

if it really is only on one side... do the flapper systems fire each bank of injectors separately, like the hotwire does?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, they "bank-fire" Austin. Sounds from explanation like one bank is maybe overfuelling, but I can't see what could cause that and then sort itself out again, as all sensors feed the whole engine. If it were an ecu fault, where there are 2 main power transistors - one for each bank, I'd expect it not to go away simply after idling for 10 seconds.... It's also possible that the noise is actually the engine spitting back through the inlet as it's on that side, and nothing to do with just one bank at all.... in which case it may be a starvation issue and worth replacing the fuel filter? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks for the reply's some things I haven't tried yet , bit more info for you though , its definitely over fuelling as I can smell it when I stop , I have changed the ecu for a known good one and it made no difference any further thoughts ?

Reply to
itcosthowmuch

On or around 21 Apr 2005 01:56:14 -0700, "itcosthowmuch" enlightened us thusly:

cold start system malfunctioning, possibly - could be a sensor or could be the wiring, bearing in mind the intermittent nature of the fault.

Reply to
Austin Shackles