BANG and then water in the engine oil system....

People Hi,

a couple of days ago and after my Disco 200Tdi auto has kicked-down on an a relatively uphill part of road there was a loud bang (more like a PUFFFF) and the engine died on the spot.

I checked the water on the cooling system and it was totally empty.

A friend who came for assistance brought water with him and we filled the c ooling system only to realize that all the water we added has found its way to the engine oil system (the level of oil on the dipstick went up to half the disptick's height)

So the car was brought home on a flatbed.

I removed the oil from the oil pan and the radiator.

  1. The radiator is tight and there is no leak from the water side to the oi l cooler or vice versa.

  1. Removal of the front timimg cover revealed that the cambelt has jumped a bout 6 teeth.

  2. Removal of the top cover on the cylinder head and the rocker assembly re vealed that there are four (4) pushrods SERIOUSLY bent.

  1. Removal of the cylinder hear has revealed no visible cracks or problems with the cylinder head gasket (which was replaced about 500 km ago)

  2. All pistons appear OK. No visible cracks on the upper side of the eng ine block (where the cylinder head sits on it). All pistons rise to the sam e height above the cylinder block level.

  1. Unfortunately when filling the water passageways of the block with wate r the water drips from the oil pan (I have not fitted the oil pan plug so a s to check this thing) I have inserted water on the passageways of the eng ine block that meet with the flat face of the cylinder head (the triangular shaped one between the cylinders on the side of the engine where the fuel pump is)and the oval ones on the side of the manifolds

  2. I inserted a long wire on the water passageways on the engine block and there still is oil in them.

I strongly believe that the engine block has cracked from the inside.

Is there a possibility that it may be something less serious?

The car has had the cylinder head gasket replaced and the timing belt reche cked and refitted by myself about 500 km ago following a broken camshaft in cident. After the repair it was running like a dream without any noises, l ow fuel consumption, very good performance, no smoke and very good temperat ure readings (absolutely no overheat, not even reaching close to the middle )

Thanks for your kind input and comments.

Take care everybody Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
pantgiam

Do I recall that this is the engine that had some work on it a few months ago that resulted in the mechanic doing a bodge (sorry can't remember the details) and I said at the time I hope he is guaranteeing his bodge ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew Hi,

First of all Happy New Year to everybody on our discussion group.

It turned out that the engine block has cracked on one of its water passage s. This car was also repaired because of a not properly tightened cranksha ft pulley bolt and also of the camshaft pulley bolt snapping. (it was agai n a monkey boy's bodge of a job as you have so rightly described it)

But it was repaired and the it was my mistake that resulted in the engine b lock cracking.

What has happened was that I have not used loctite on one of the bolts hold ing the camshaft roller sleeves in its place. The bolt came off, the sleev e rotated, the roller was caught between the camshaft lobe and the engine b lock water passage wall and it has cracked it.

The good thing is that the engine block crack is accessible through the ope ning where the fuel lift pump is located. I will try to repair/cover the c rack either with Loctite metal epoxy putty (the product I have used to succ essfully repair the damage on the crankshaft woodruff key incident) I am also considering if it would be good to use this product

Apparently it has excellent adhesion properties on metal, can withstand tem peratures up to 185 degrees Celsius and its elastic behavior maybe better s uited to a cracked water passageway application.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with your input and opinions.

Once more Happy New Year to everybody Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
pantgiam