Batteries LR90 V8 and winch

Hi all

Need to replace the batteries on a 90 V8. Has a split charge with blocking diode and fitted with a Warn M10000 winch. Which are better for the winch battery size for size a conventional battery or a leisure battery? I seem to be able to get more for my money on a leisure battery and the very likely chance that it'll be totally flattened on occassions which leisure batteries are adverstised as being better able to handle but whats the best way to go? Also if I stick to some leisure batteries I've seen 85Amp/hr in a size that will fit under the passenger seat in the dual battery mount I've currently got.

Thanx

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hendry

In message , Jay Hendry writes

Jay,

I wouldn't go for the leisure battery although the price may be OK. Leisure batteries, as you said are designed to have regular discharges to low levels but they are designed to do this over time, not all in one go and trickle charged. A winch can draw a large instant drain i.e.

300amp + . A heavy duty traction battery may be more appropriate. Some Gel batteries have been made for this but they are VERY expensive just for the weekend 'toy'.

light continuous loads being cycled a 'leisure battery'.

starting only a 'Starting Lighting and Ignition' (SLI) battery.

starting and deep discharging on one battery a 'deep discharge'

repeated high current cycling a 'cyclic battery' such as GEL

medium current loads and long term repeated cycling a 'traction battery'.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Graham Jones