Best Engine Oil for Worn Series Engine

Hi,

My Series 3 petrol (71) burns a lot of oil. It is worst when the engine is hot and your have to idle for a while - traffic lights for example. If you put your foot down pulling away there is an awful lot of white smoke while it gets going. Having topped it up yesterday with a cheap 20/50 it has been worse than ever. What is the best oil to use in a worn engine like this?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Sure its white smoke? thats usually water in the exhaust if you are burning oil its usually blue smoke.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I just use cheap 20/50 my last engine burnt oil, and I figured it wasn't worth wasting too much on oil if it was going at that rate.

My current engine does not burn oil it spits it out, it would probably burn it if it were recycling through the manifold.

Reply to
Larry

"Peter"

If it's burning a lot of oil the smoke should be a bit blue not white, that's steam, another problem altogether.

You may be worrying unnecessarily as it could just be worn/hardened valve stem seals, it was on my 1986 90 2.5 petrol. Unfortunately it's a head off job although the seals cost pence. Mine used to puff out smoke at start-up and then just as you say, after idling for a bit. The oil was black too but since I've done the seals there is no smoke and the oil has stayed remarkably clean.

Now the timing chain is rattling!

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Most likely to be worn valve stem seals - easy to change next time the head's off, apparently possible to change leaving the head in place, but I'm not sure it would save any time!

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Check you aren't losing water as well, could be your head gasket is going. If not, then your valve guides or seals are worn, the oil goes down the exhaust valve stems and vapourises. Which is why the smoke is white, not blue. There isn't a lot you can do to stop it, the 2.25 is notorious for losing oil down the valve guides when they are worn, and the problem is worst when it is hot, at idle and also on first starting from cold - the oil runs down the guides when it is stopped and sits on top of the piston. I doubt wether any oil additives or "chassic worn engine" oils will do any good at all. Best is to buy the cheapest 20/50 you can find untill you can get the head off and have new guides fitted. Although new seals may well cure the problem without new guides.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Peter Hi,

I have used an additive called RESTORE on occasions where a service of the engine was not an immediate option and results were very good with engine rattling disappearing together with excessive oil consumption.

You can easily find it if you use your internet search engine or type RESTORE on

I can also give you the contact details of the person who sells it in the UK if you wish to contact him directly.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos