Best news this week (for me)

I remember in a previous post that someone said they had SORNed *all* their vehicles at the same time, so they don't forget any????

Martin

that only

Reply to
Oily

you can SORN anytime (though that is for things that are already SORN'd - it may differ for things that are currently taxed).

I do all mine every couple of months! :D they keep me busy filling in crap, so i shall keep them busy posting crap back to me.

I think that next time i am going to SORN everything gradually over a week (one per evening) as then they will put them all in seperate envelopes..

Reply to
Tom Woods

I didnt have to show mine when i taxed my car a couple of weeks ago!. I had all the stuff with me but he only wanted the V5! after he scanned in the barcode i assume it looked it up online.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:18:44 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I don't think so. you can get a refund for unused (whole months of) tax.

What's bloody ridiculous is that you have to *renew* the frigging SORN. Once it's been SORNed, it's off-road unless or until it's taxed again. The only thing that renewing the SORN every year does is make extra work, extra expense and the chance to catch someone out and fine 'em 40 quid.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've managed to avoid it up to now but as you say the SORN should be indefinite, if you state the vehicle is off the road then that's good enough for a conviction no matter how long after. BTW, I thought it was 80 quid Austin, or do they give a discount for locals? ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I suspect the SORN thing will change in the future to include some kind of yearly charge for not using your car... I suspect this will happen because if they decide to sting us with car tax then people like me with toy cars that are driven occasionally will start SORNing their toys in turn, using one for a few months, then SORNing it and unSORNing another one.

Mechanisms put in place for us to use to avoid excessive tax are left alone only if they see insignificant use, the Freedom of Information act is a case in point, it's been such a success that the government is now putting excessive restrictions on it, particularly aimed at newspapers looking for data to back up stories.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The whole SORN thing is unnecessary and just another way of them trying to catch you out with fines. Why can they not just assume that if you have not renewed the tax it is automatically off-road.

You cannot legally drive on the road when not currently taxedf you cannot legally drive on the road when sorned.

therefore the sorn does not really need to exist!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:30:24 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

40 quid if you pay up promptly and don't argue.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On 1 Nov 2006 05:31:09 -0800, "Tom Woods" scribbled the following nonsense:

yes you can, as long as the vehicle is travelling to or from a prebooked MOT, or place of repair in association with MOT work, again booked in, a reasonable distance for repairs or MOT.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

true, but that doesnt really affect what i said about the sorn though!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think you've got to actually say that it is off the road so they can fine you more money for being a lying git. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sorn is the bigest waste of time ever and will as said probably result in us having to pay a fee in the future so we can be taxed some more. Have you ever tried to sorn a vehicle that you have just bought that wasnt taxed. You are required to do it within 1 day of buying the vehicle but if you send the dvla the form they return it as the vehicle is not registered in your name and therefor cant be sorned. On 1 vehicle they returned the form back to me

3 times!!!

This goverment is ruining the country and is only after the soft targets that will pay up straight away. Do speed cameras have any effect on people that keep their cars without registering them in there name- NO.

Best thing i head resently was to ask the DVLA what vehicles are registered in your name. Apparently their computers cant answer that question but under the freedom of information act they have to supply it. If they dont they have to remove all your records from there computer!!!

Reply to
Nick

I had that exact problem which resulted in them trying to fine me.

I sent back the sorn form that they had returned to me because it wasnt in my name which they had handily dated and stamped, and then recieved a 'we have decided not to persue your case' letter.

stupid system.

Reply to
Tom Woods