Best Oil for series 3

What is the best oil for the 2.25 petrol engine ?

Reply to
Larry

You don't see that in any garages round here, usually 10w 40 or 15w 40, I though 20w 50 was obsolete.

I meant any particular make, anything to avoid ?

Reply to
Larry

Any decent 20W50.

Reply to
Exit

Cheap - it's not usually there very long!!! Seriously, 20/w50 is the correct stuff for the UK climate.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Nope.

has 20w50 oils by Total, Texaco, BP and Fuchs, for a start.

Pretty much any engine oil you can buy in a 20w50 viscosity and which carries a CCMC "S" rating and/or an ACEA "A" rating will be good enough.

Again,

has 20w50 oil from about a pound a litre (although they're really a trade supplier, and I've never used them myself).

Reply to
QrizB

Nope.

has 20w50 oils by Total, Texaco, BP and Fuchs, for a start.

Pretty much any engine oil you can buy in a 20w50 viscosity and which carries an API "S" rating and/or an ACEA "A" rating will be good enough.

Again,

has 20w50 oil from about a pound a litre (although they're really a trade supplier, and I've never used them myself).

Reply to
QrizB

Retail garages want to sell 'value added' oil. Your engine will happily run on green barrel [unbranded] 20w/50 oil as long as it meets any API standard since the late Sixties.

Brand is not important, though I would avoid Boots castor oil like the plague.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

They are a bit thin for a 1950's engine - 20W50 is still easy to get.

My local Safeway forecourt does 5 litres of Duckhams 20W50 in old-fashioned metal tins for a very good price, but any 20W50 should be sufficient.

Reply to
Exit

20/50, 15/40, 10/40 or similar. Mineral oil, don't use synthetic or semi-synthetic. 20/50 is the correct specifiaction, although this seems to be a raity these days.

It won't be in there long enough to worry about, my system is to buy a

5 gallon drum of the cheapest I can find. If I could get away with running it on cooking oil I would!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

B&Q and Tesco both sell Castrol 20/50 API rated for £5.99 for 5ltr.

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)