Best oil for V8 3.9 Disco

One of the Magazines recently did an article on the V8 its history etc and gave recommendations on the best oils to use. Has anyone got it the wife has thrown mine out although she denies it.

Or any recommendations. (for what is the best oil) not what to do with the wife

Reply to
Dave

Sorry, can't help with the oil but I'm glad to hear it's not just my missus who like to 'tidy up'!

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 26 Oct 2004 13:48:32 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

LRE, wasn't it?

FWIW, IMHO etc...

up to 1976, good quality 20W50.

after 1976 and up to Thor (I forget when) when they changed all the front end of the engine including the oil pump, decent 15W50, 15W40, maybe 10W40 if it's cold weather.

late ones, well... follow the manufacturer's guidelines, I reckon

In general: cheap oil is worth what you pay for it; good 20W50 isn;t that easy to find.

My 1991 disco seems happy enough on Castrol GTX "for high mileage engines".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you want a really good oil, Castrol Formula R in 25W/50 isn't a synthetic and is top of the line (but bloody expensive).

Reply to
EMB