Bicycle carrier for a Discovery....

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a bicycle carrier for a UK "Series II" Discovery?

I saw mention of a Sealey bs4 (with the 4x4 conversion plate) does anyone know if this is any good?

Thanks!

Reply to
pjh1

I always use an old Paddy Hopkirk one that clamps on the towball and locks in place. Never failed, works on any car with a towhitch.

Reply to
Rich B

Do you know which model you have? And does it work with the spare on the back-door in place?

Thanks

Reply to
pjh1

How many bikes? I used halfords spare wheel mounted one on my DII and never had an issue but it will only hold two bikes?

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Two for now but could easily become 3!

I'm a bit concerned about the spare wheel mounted ones as I'm concerned about the strains involved- and the spare falling off :-) With 2 bikes, there's a lot of torque on the spare wheel mount - even more on the door hinges Is the rear door really up to it?

Reply to
pjh1

Two for now but could easily become 3!

I'm a bit concerned about the spare wheel mounted ones as I'm concerned about the strains involved- and the spare falling off :-) With 2 bikes, there's a lot of torque on the spare wheel mount - even more on the door hinges Is the rear door really up to it?

The rear door will be fine, you do need to check on the condition of your wheel carrier as these rot like a rotty thing in a rotten bog. If the door is left closed then there will be no major issues on the hinges. I personally would not open the door with bikes on the carrier and it would be tempting fate with the paintwork to even try.

I have used a Halfords carrier for two bikes too. The kids bikes went in the back but now they are getting bigger they all get lashed down on the 110 roof rack.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I use a Twinny Load Off Road

is excellent. Robust,stable, clears the spare wheel. Allows reardoor to be opened slightly with bikes in place and totally with bikesnot on it. I only use it for 2 bikes but there is a further accessoryto enable carrying a thirdPlease reply to group - email address is not monitoredIan

Reply to
Ian

Road

which is excellent. Robust,stable, clears the spare wheel. Allows rear> door to be opened slightly with bikes in place and totally with bikes> not on it. I only use it for 2 bikes but there is a further accessory> to enable carrying a third> Please reply to group - email address is not monitored> Ian

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm a bit too mean to but one of those.

Has anyone hd any experience with these people:

Thanks!

Reply to
pjh1