bit of a moan

After replacing the boot floor on my last disco I thought it may be prudent to get in there before the tin worms do on the latest disco ( "98" 300tdi es ). After removing the carpets etc I found to my horror I was too late it was already rusting on all seams,badly in places fortunately no holes though so much scraping, sanding, wire brushing later it was ready for the coats of hammerite. While removing the rust I noticed that there was a lack of primmer under the top coat and therefore the topcoat being prone to chipping and flaking. Is this the case on all disco's? or have I got a Friday afternoon one. You think for a motor knocking on the door of 30k they might of been able to splash out on some primer! Anyway moan over if you haven't checked yours yet I would recommend it irrespective of age.

Reply to
the ickys

For £30K, and for a vehicle advertised as a mudplugger, you would think they would use galvanised steel.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Reply to
StaffBull

I was quoted £60 for the part, but nobody wanted to fit it for me - including fitting it was coming in at about £400. So I left it.

Reply to
David French

Reply to
StaffBull

If you can weld, or know somebody who can, it's an easy job, apparently. I have the instructions somewhere - email me if you need them.

I ran All Terrains. Highly recommended.

David French

Hi David,

The last welding I did was in College in 1989!! and I seem to remember burning holes in everything I touched !!, I'll leave any welding to the pro's. Electrics/electronics no problem but thats what I'm paid to do anyway.

Is there anywhere else I need to take closer look at ?

Reply to
StaffBull

I paid about £110 or so per tyre, but I have a feeling I was being ripped off.

A decent set of tyres will make more difference to your off-road capabilities than a winch, relatively speaking.

David

Reply to
David French

in article c12tkf$1cn363$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-93475.news.uni-berlin.de, Bob Hobden at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 19/2/04 6:05 pm:

There's me thinking that Land Rovers are supposed to leak!

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article c1303t$1d6lmm$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-160280.news.uni-berlin.de, David French at snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote on 19/2/04 6:43 pm:

Left ours too. With any luck we'll loose one or two of the kids when they fall through the hole;-)

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Reply to
the ickys

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:52:03 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

I think you'll be lucky to get BFG much under a ton apiece, though, bloody expensive tyres, OK they're good, but are they that good?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

We had BFG All Terrain T/As on our last Range Rover and now have them on our V8 90. When our Disco tyres need changing, probably this year, I will put BFG on that too. I think they are a great tyre. There may be others that are as good or better. Better the devil......etc Richard

Reply to
Richard

Austin Shackles posted ...

Yup .. My AT's need replacing soon, and we'll be getting exactly the same. Plus some spare wheels and MT's for those 'silly' days .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

in article 4PhZb.6104$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, the ickys at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 20/2/04 6:29 am:

We only like ours sometimes! I've been shopping twice this week for food(kids on half-term)as our eldest must be on a growing spurt.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Hi Austin, what else would you reccomend ?

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:29:46 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

there're 2 things put me off: a) the risk that one gets damaged when still nearly new, 's a lot of tyre to throw away; and b) with such long-lasting (and expensive) tyres, you get a long period from about 4mm tread down to the legal limit.

cheap tyres that last about 20K miles or so, you only get about 2-3000 with next-to-no tread, afore you throw 'em and get some more.

There's also the cost aspect - I might just about justify the cost of a set of cheap mud remoulds for playing with if the "normal" tyres aren't too pricey.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:57:14 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

what for, what size, what use?

AT-style tyres... erm. I've had Pirelli Scorpion AT - brilliant on-road in all conditions, OK on average hard off-road, not much cop in mud.

currently got Nankang Wide Conqueror, which are a bit more aggressive tread than the Pirellis - not quite so good on-road in the wet but a bit better in mud - neither have the bite of full mud tyres in the mud, of course.

Sister's BF has a Range Rover 3.9 which has Pirelli Scorpion ST, and reckons he's yet to actually get stuck. Mind, I've yet to actually get stuck, but I have failed to get places I was trying to get to.

The Pirellis are quite soft rubber (which doubtless accounts for the good road grip) but don't last all that long. The Nankangs look to be going to last about the same as the Pirellis, but cost less.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I bought the Disco for some weekend greenlaning but have found that I am using it more than the car now ! thats why I was going for the All Terrain's size on it at the moment is 235/70/16's they are Pirelli Scorpion ST Could I go with wider tyres without any rubbing ?

Cheers

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:44:49 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

shouldn't really need 'em wider for what you're doing, and anything much bigger won't work without a suspension lift. 235/70 is a standard tyre for the vehicle.

235/85 would give you more diff clearance, but you'll need to lift it at least an inch to stop 'em fouling the bodywork, I'd think. They'll also slightly compromise the on-road handling. Pirelli ST is what Sister's BF run on his range rover, same size, and he rates 'em off-road as well - in some conditions, they'll not bite so well, in other conditions they'll probably work better than ATs.
Reply to
Austin Shackles