Black diesel smoke on start up. Why..?

A newby diesel question. Every time I start my 300tdi I get a cloud of dark smoke from the exhaust. This clears within seconds and the vehicle drives fine without any smoke, until the next time it is started. Doesn't seem to matter how long the vehicle stands between runs, it gives the same amount of smoke. I think the engine has done about 100k.

Thanks.

McBad

My 200TDi is the same, I will watch the following posts closely...

Reply to
Wolverine

Black smoke is unburned diesel that has been fired in during start up Nothing at all to worry about

-- accywing

----------------------------------------------------------------------- accywingy's Profile:

this thread:

accywingy

totally normal they all do, only worry if the smoke is white ( water leak, head gasket ) or bluish ( engine oil, rings )

Reply to
Hirsty's

although older less advanced diesels can white smoke for a few minutes after start up while they warm up. When I was in the TA it was always interesting when we started the Bedford MJs up. If we hadn't been discovered, we were then!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

Phew. Sounds as if I can relax! Had visions of something very expensive...

Cheers - off to play in the mud in the Forest of Dean now, first time. Here we go, here we go, here we go, etc

McBad

In news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com, McBad expelled:

Ahhhhaaa......stuck, new dent from tree, stuck again :-)

Reply to
EMB

"McBad" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

Get ready for your next scare.

Do you hear any squeaking from the water pump area??

Sorry! Couldn't help it.

Mine is back, by the way.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I get that with my petrol engine :)

Reply to
Larry

Mine squeaks but only when it rains ????

Reply to
Hirsty's

"Hirsty's" wrote in news:ttRFc.66$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Lots on Google about this, also suggested "cures". It is in fact the "fan" belt and the best explanation I had was from the tech department of a belt manufacturer. He said it was due to glaze on the tension pulley -- similar to the effect when you draw your finger down a clean windscreen. Apparently, they all do it (300TDi's) but it's nothing to worry about. Quite fun reading the suggested "cures" though!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Not neccessarily. The squeak from mine had been getting progressively worse, even with deglazing the tensioner, using belt dressing etc. etc. Finally I gave in and bought a new tensioner assembly - and I now have silence. Well, apart from the engine noise and the strange squeak that only happens when I turn left, that is...

The old tensioner has in the order of 2-3mm slop in the pulley.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I rebuilt my tensioner with a new bearing, a bit cheaper than the replacing the whole thing.

Still squeaks a bit on damp mornings or after driving through a ford though.

I've given up trying to shut it up now.

Reply to
Simon Barr

I get a great big cloud of white smoke from my petrol engine (2.25)

does that mean mine is racist or its something to do with the valves?

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Simon Barr wrote in news:2ktapgF586mfU1@uni- berlin.de:

Me too. I think it's called "auditory fatigue" or something like that.

But I didn't mean to suggest that glazed tensioner was the only known cause of squeaks in a 300Tdi. Perish the thought!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Well, it wouldn't be any fun if it was that easy, would it?

So far I've got the left-hand-downabit squeak, the occasional squeak from (I think) a door, and the irritating squeak from the plywood in the back being screwed down too tight. Of course, if it isn't tight enough, the ply rattles instead...

I'll probably rebuild the tensioner assembly at some point, but I needed a quick sanity fix. This had hit the point of a squealing howl on every journey, which was getting a bit much.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Peter) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Here's another possibility for you.

Opened up the bonnet of the 200Tdi the other day and some dog biscuits dropped out of the sound proofing onto the engine.

Strange, I thought, as I gave it a bang. More dog biscuits.... then a mouse.

So maybe it wasn't the belt that was squeaking after all??

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

This is one of the more unusual stories I've heard on afl. It begs the question, how did you get dog biscuits in your engine? I'm anxious to know.

Reply to
David French

"David French" wrote in news:40eb2029$0$7800$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Mice are known horders. The 200Tdi was lying idle awaiting repairs. The mice clearly took the biscuits "home" for the winter. Now, I'll agree, it was some feat to remove the biscuits to the sound proofing above the engine! But it did happen and I wasn't too surprised. Mice seem rather fond of moving into vehicles. The biscuits, by the way, are rather small -- about

1/2 inch in diameter and approximately 1/4 inch thick.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

OK, I've checked for dog biscuits, mice and soundproofing - nope, none of those present...

I once found that mice had carefully stashed a sizable amount of poisoned grain in my bed (under the bottom sheet) whilst I'd been away for a while. Returning the favour, perhaps?

Peter

Reply to
Peter