bleeding 200tdi

Hi All,

OK, here's the problem. My 200tdi defender always started on the button but now, after sitting for a few hours needs a bit of cranking before it fires.

I've just changed the diesel tank. After fitting I tried bleeding it with the lift pump but nothing much happened. I suspect that the lift pump may be dead, but I've yet to check properly. So I just cranked it. Amazingly (well, I was amazed!), it fired right up, coughed a small bit for a minute or too and was then fine. It runs as normal now except after sitting for a bit. Then it'll need 2 seconds or so on the starter before it catches.

So these symptons indicated air somewhere allowing fuel to drain back from the injectors - right? Where is the air? The injection pump or filter?

My main question is this; seeing as the lift pump may be dead, can I bleed it while it's running? or is this wise?

Yes, yes, I know that a new lift pump isn't expensive, but I've just chucked a load of cash at it and I've like to stop the spending for a week or too!!

Cheers, Gromit

91 200tdi 110 running again :-)
Reply to
Gromit

In article , Gromit writes

Hi

The Tdi engines will self bleed on the starter very easily as you have found.

Diesel will not drain back from the injectors at all. but you may be getting air in from a loose union to the filter or the fuel return rail. check the filter is on tight and the drain tap is tight too.

The lift pump often feels like it is doing nothing due to the fact that it is "on cam" try rotating the crank a few degrees and trying again.

So look for a loose union or a hole in a pipe that allows the air in.

How does the engine sound when you try to start it? is it turning over as quick as it should? could be a bad earth, battery or starter.

Hope this helps

Reply to
marc

On or around 19 Aug 2004 01:02:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@allstate.com (Gromit) enlightened us thusly:

check the pipe connections to and from the tank - sounds like a very minor air leak somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles