Bleeding Watery brakes

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of brake failure while decending Sani Pass. My Mistake as I was cracking on a bit instead of my usual Low 1st approach.

Anyway, it appears that the reason was brake fluid boiling as I had not replaced it for some time.

Last night I finally set about bleeding the brakes and put 1.5L through the system. The problem is that the bleed nipple is on the top of the caliper. Good for getting rid of air, not so good for getting rid of water.

So do you think my bleeding would have got rid of the water. Ie does the water go into solution with the brake fluid or stay sperated?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Hi Stephen,

Brake fluid is water soluble, so separation generally doesn't happen.

Would suggest a really good brake system flush.......

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
HolyMan

Cheers

Hopfully 1,5L was enought to get all the water out then.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

should have been more than plenty nice roads by the look of them although the picture of the 'landrover' Is a bit suspect

Derek

Jeez Stephen

Brake failure going down Sani - it's a wonder you're still here to tell the tale.

We had exactly the same problem going down the steep road off the escarpment from Louwsberg to Itala GR, scared the daylights out of us.

A change of brake fluid also did the trick for us. Lord knows how long the old fluid had been in there. Reminds me - must flush through the system on the new aquisition.

Cheers Steve Maloney Durban '84 110 V8 Hardtop - Moonraker '84 110 V8 Stationwagon - Sunseeker.

Reply to
Maloney

Funny I had the same thoughts just popped into the factors and got another litre. I'm doing everything as time and weather allows - my ep in the front axle was nasty looked like it had never been changed Derek

Reply to
Derek

atleast there was some in there!

Reply to