Body parts.....

On Tue, 2 May 2006 22:15:11 +0100, "Diane Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

|| No, really. Owing to an unfortunate incident with a ivy-covered || tree-stump close to an ivy-covered bank, I am now in need of a front || spoiler and foglight for the Td5 Disco. Small crunch, major damage!

OK, update time...

Have been round all the breakers suggested and drawn a blank every time. Logic, innit - the flimsiest and most vulnerable part of the vehicle is the least likely to turn up in good condition as a s/h spare.

I've taken the whole bumper assembly off today (yes, it's all-in-one, have to replace the whole thing even though 90% of it is fine, grrrrrrr). Turns out both foglight mounts are smashed and the whole thing is held together by plastic brackets and plastic pins, most of which are u/s or hanging by a thread. Cracks galore. My original plan was to use a lot of Araldite, bits of alloy and rivets to brace it all from behind and mount the foglights securely, but having had a good look today that seems like more of a project than a quick fix.

Plan B is therefore to source an aftermarket h/d bumper to replace the original. After an hour on Google, the only one that turns up this side of the pond is a winch bumper by Bearmach, but no prices on the website. Famous Four do a OEM assembly in primer, which will come to about 450 notes after VAT and carriage, so I need to get a price from Bearmach to see how they compare.

Does anyone know of any other suppliers, or have any better ideas?

Sorry for the long post, feel better now.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| No, really. Owing to an unfortunate incident with a ivy-covered || tree-stump close to an ivy-covered bank, I am now in need of a front || spoiler and foglight for the Td5 Disco. Small crunch, major damage!

Bumper off, cracks araldited and reinforced with alloy plates riveted on behind, plastic fillered, sanded, sprayed, new foglights fitted, and all back on today. Looks as good as new if you don't look too closely. Cost about £15 for materials, plus a week's worth of evenings dodging the showers to try and get a decent finish from the can. Now if only I hadn't reversed into the trailer hitch while repositioning the Disco, and punched a hole in one of the bumper light units...

Arse!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hi Richard, which side was it?

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

|| Now if only I hadn't reversed into the ||| trailer hitch while repositioning the Disco, and punched a hole in ||| one of the bumper light units... || || Hi Richard, || which side was it?

Left. Needed by Friday at the latest, Richard, if you can. Leaving on holiday Saturday early.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In the post today - 1st Class. So you probably get it a week next Tuesday..... ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Cheers Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| In message || "Richard Brookman" wrote: || ||| beamendsltd wrote: ||| ||||| Now if only I hadn't reversed into the |||||| trailer hitch while repositioning the Disco, and punched a hole |||||| in one of the bumper light units... ||||| ||||| Hi Richard, ||||| which side was it? ||| ||| Left. Needed by Friday at the latest, Richard, if you can. ||| Leaving on holiday Saturday early. ||| || || In the post today - 1st Class. So you probably get it a week next || Tuesday..... ;-)

Received today, many thanks. That's first class, as in next day delivery. Summat's gone right for sure.

Reply to
Richard Brookman