"Bonnet Open" fault on P38 Rangie

I have been hospitalised for a few weeks and on my return home decided to turn the car over. Once finished I locked it using the remote key fob. There was an extra loud beep which indictaed something was not closed, and when I inserted the key the dash readout told me the bonnet was not closed. I checked and it is closed properly. I was wondering if there is some form of micro - switch which may need a look at? Anyone know where this would be located? Thanks.

1995 Range Rover P38 Auto 4.00 HSE.
Reply to
cyberwraith

I'm thinking, I haven't got a clue where the switch is but if the car has been stood parked I'd be giving it a good charge as many faults thrown by the P38 are down to the battery getting low.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks Lee, I did that, with the battery disconnected from the car as advised. I was thinking if it is a micro switch 'thingie' a small use of WD

40 or a clean may sort it?
Reply to
cyberwraith

Thanks Lee, I did that, with the battery disconnected from the car as advised. I was thinking if it is a micro switch 'thingie' a small use of WD

40 or a clean may sort it?
Reply to
cyberwraith

Looking at microcat looks like bonnet catch has a swith built in (for with alarm/with switch) can you see under bonnet catch and can you see multiplug there

Reply to
johnty

Did it beep again when you relocked it? Both of my DII's beep when you lock then after having the bonnet open. Unlock and relock with the remote and it doesn't beep again on the relock.

Argh, no! Never get WD40 near any switch that you want to stay working. It's a Water Displacer not a switch cleaner or lubricant. A squirt over an ignition system that is dripping on condensation is OK but that's about all it's useful for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I will have a look tomorrow. Thanks.

Reply to
cyberwraith

Bonnet switch is attached to the right hand bonnet catch. Micro switch is probably gunked up from grease/oil and the like. Spray the micro switch with SWITCH CLEANER (not oils or WD stuff). I'd disconnect the loom to the switch and give the contacts in the plug a spray too.

Tandy/Dick Smith/Jaycar or your equivalent electronics supplier can give you a switch cleaner/lubricant.

Craig (Aus).

Reply to
CraigB

Thanks folks, just updating you, the switch / relay has been changed, it had become faulty. Works a treat now. =)

Reply to
cyberwraith