Brakes!

Can anybody explain how the P38a brake system works, in words of one syllable or fewer?

I find there's a lot of travel on mine if it's the first time you've touched the brakes for a while (eg on the motorway - but not the M25). They feel very soft compared with other Range Rovers I've driven. Once you use them once, any subsequent tap of the pedal feels a lot firmer. I'm interested to know why, but I have absolutely no idea how the brakes work.

Thanks. David

Reply to
David French

I recently had these issues with Mrs D's Rangie "Alfie"., after I used him to commute for a Week, it turned out in our case to be a perished hose which t's off from the servo main hose to the brake vacume system. Your V8 shouldn't need a vacuume pump so it make be a lose hose around the intake manifold to the servo or elsewhere on the intake thus resulting in a lower vacuume and possible pumping required to ge the normally expected braking efficiency. Replacement of the hose solved the problem in our case.

I'd look at this possibility first given your engine has been in and out a few times of late too.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:05:11 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

no.

is it ABS?

if so, is it the same ABS system as the late classics (and, indeed my 4x4 ford)?, viz. with an electric pump and pressure reservoir?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check the wheel bearings, play in the wheel bearings is a common cause for this as the disk movement caused by the resulting wobble pushes the pads back. The first press of the pedal takes up this gap causing it to feel soft.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

David,

Have a quick check of the wheel bearings, I found I had excessive brake travel after off roading, and someone suggested that if the bearing was loose, the wobble in the disk can push the brake pistons in, which means you need to push the pedal more to activate the pistons. For me this was the problem.

However, this is less likely to occour on the M25 than at Broxhead common off-road day!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux