brakes(series) hydraulic weirdness, advice please

Hi all,

My landrover is testing my mechanical abilities again

I have a problem with the brake pressure. The hydraulic pressure seems to be building up, so that the brake pedal becomes solid and at the top of it's range, with the brakes binding on, sometimes fairly hard, rendering the landy immovable.

The only way to sort it out seems to be to undo a bleed nipple and let out some pressure, it then goes fine for a while and the pressure releases and I get normal operation, sometimes for a couple of days.

So far I have

1) set up free play, and pushrod adjustment 2) replaced the pedal return spring 3) bled the brakes (twice) 4) completely replaced the master cylinder, for a brand new one 5) set up free play and pushrod adjustment (again)

Someone has suggested that I should have a look at the wheel cyls and clean them out, someone else suggested the compensator may be at fault

- anyone else got any other suggestions in here? TIA!

1969 Series 2A "The Green Mule" - South Somerset
Reply to
Superbug

I had exactly the same trouble with my IIa, I was going completely nuts because it always "started to brake" till it stopped. Arrgl.

I redid everything, changed, adjusted and so on, till I brought it to my garage. They then discovered that one of the new wheel brake cylinders (non genuine) was faulty and sucked a small amount of air into the system. After they changed it, the car runs perfectly und brakes well.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Do number 5 again. Your pushrod adjustment is keeping the brakes under pressure. BTDT :(

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

I'd tend to agree with this but check is it all the brakes that are binding or just one or two Once had a brake hose that had deteriorated inside press brakes- fluid goes down pipe, release pedal- a 'flap' inside blocked pipe so fluid couldn't get back up

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Good point. I was thinking the problems started after the master cylinder was replaced for some reason. At least it's easy to check out what you suggest :)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Other than the points mentioned, another possibility is that the pedal pivot or the trunnion carring the pushrod or its pit are badly worn or sticking, so that the pushrod adjustment is not effective. Also, is the pedal return spring the right one - there are three different lengths, and too long a one will prevent the pushrod adjustment from working. A further possibility is that your fluid is contaminated and has caused swelling of the seal in the new M/C with resultant sticking. Next time it builds up, before anything else, remove the cover on top of the pedal box and check whether the master cylinder is sticking. JD

Reply to
JD

I would check the pushrod adjustment again just for the hell of it but certainly make sure that the hoses are working!! There was actually a recall on Hondas ( Civics, I think ) for this very problem... The pressure of the master cylinder is plenty enough to force the fluid through the 'blockage' but the springs in the drums is not enough to push the fluid back again.On the Hondas it came to light as ridiculously fast pad wear on the rear. New hoses were fitted under warranty and the problem went away for a while!! I did a couple of CRX's with braided hoses and they are still going without the problem coming back.....

I would suggest fitting a set of my stainless braid hoses anyway ( I would, wouldn't I ?? ). For £11 a hose I cannot understand why people still fart about with rubber ones!!!

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

EXACT SAME HAPPENED TO ME, IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE MASTER CYLINDER ADJUSTEDED incorrectly, no,,,,hang on ,,,,, i tell a lie.........................

originaly it was a faulty m/c then i changed it and adjustede it wrong.

sounds like a land rover initiation ceremony, as everyone who owns a landy goes thru the " my brakes are binding" cenario

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

I went through the disapearing brakes scenario with mine. This sounds like a much safer way for brakes to be broken!

Reply to
Tom Woods