brakes update

An update on tracing the cause of the brakes problem, if you remember,

1984 110, takes a couple of pumps of the pedal to get the back brakes working. Had the wife in the drivers seat stepping on the brakes while I checked the rubber hoses from the axle to the chassis, the hose showed no sign of ballooning so I now suspect air in the system, and it'll do no harm to bleed it through anyway. If I get one of those ezibleed things am I right in thinking that I can just connecxt it to one wheel cylinder, open the bleed nipple, pump the brakes a few times, top-up the brake fluid, pump a couple more times, top-up, close the bleed nipple and repeat on the other three?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yup thats how it works, I have one and it's a doddle

Andrew Renshaw

Hi Mark,

Exercise caution with your Eezebleed. Don't run it from a fully inflated tyre because the fluid reservior will leak and massively aerate the fluid (in my experience). You can't top the Eezebleed reservoir up when it still contains fluid as the release of air presure will create bubbles in the fluid, just continue to bleed a caliper until the fluid level starts to drop in the reservoir on the master cylinder, i.e. the Eezebleed contains only air.

Having written all the above I'm wondering if I thinking of the same gadget as you! Are you talking about Gunsons Eezebleed or one of those rubber pipes with a slit in it?

I've got an Eezibleed and it is brilliant.

On another tack IIRC the inner hose on rubber brake lines can break down allowing fluid in between the inner hose an outer sheath. I replaced the OE rubber hoses on my first RRC with a Goodrich kit for around £50 (half the cost of new genuine rubber hoses) and the brakes were much better. At least until an earth fault treated the SS braiding as a good return path for a dead short on the batteries!

On yet another tack I had a brand new Vauxhall Astra once were the brake pedal would sink to the floor as soon as the engine was turned on. No amount of pedal pumping made any difference and Vauxhall changed every part of the braking system except the solid lines. Needless to say my employers handed the car back.

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Twas Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:32:21 +0100 when Richard Savage put finger to keyboard producing:

I was referring to the kit with the one-way valve but if there is an even easier way then count me in.

I'm seriously considering a set of braided hoses, but if bleeding solves the problem then I'll not bother.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Buy an Eezibleed from Halfords. It makes life soooo much easier. It's so good that I have seriously thought about buying new covers for the clutch and brake master cylinders on my bike and fitting adaptors to them so that I can use the Eezibleed on it (They're square - the EB only works on fluid reservoirs with screw caps.)

Just remember what I said about not connecting it to a fully inflated tyre - IIRC 20psi is about tops. If I can find the instructions, do you want me to scan them and mail them to you before you splash out any cash?

This is a web page lucked at random from Google (Gunson's don't seem to have a page of their own despite being found by Google ??).

You might like to look at this page about brake bleeding and the EB, especially the bit about shuttle valves. I don't know about the 110 but the RRC has a valve in the rear circuit that IIRC acts to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes - please someone more expert correct me on this - Also see what they have to say about hoses collapsing internally. £50 for peace of mind is not too great. I did have a hose burst on a very old FIAT, fortunately just as I stopped on my driveway, but . . .

Regards Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Twas Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:58:14 +0100 when Richard Savage put finger to keyboard producing:

Yes please.

I found a few online retailers but non that I particularly felt inclined to trust, I shall probably go to my usual motorfactors or halfords.

My 110 has a slidey valve thing to block a leaky circuit, it blocks the rear circuit so only the front works unless I pump a couple of times then it centralises the valve and both circuits work, how do I use the eazibleed with a valve thing like this, do I need to somehow lock the valve so both circuits are open? if so-how?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

that is normally indicative of a servo fault, especially if the pedal is solid when the engine is off.

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, ready for sale! Make me an offer! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

That is what I thought. But as it persisted after the servo had been replaced . . . . .

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

If you are talking about a Gunsons easibleed then you fill the bottle with the old DOT3 ( or 4) screw the adapter onto the hose , screw the lot onto the Master cylinder. Then join up the air line to a tyre ( not pumped up too hard) and then go round and undo the bleed nipples one by one ...... I cant recommend this tool enough , the RL has 5/16 " brake pipes which are rather a bastard to bleed to say the least as because of the diameter they bleed very slowly by pumping, but with the Easibleed you dont pump the pressure in the tyre forces the brake fluid through, result no air locks. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Twas Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:45:00 GMT when "R L Driver" put finger to keyboard producing:

Sounds simple, I'm a big fan of simple, I'll get one next week.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:58:14 +0100, Richard Savage enlightened us thusly:

the instructions IIRC tell you to use a partially inflated tyre, not a fully-inflated one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Quite right, but you only have to forget once (as I did) to partially deflate the tyre to understand why the instructions say to use no more than 20 psi!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage