Britpart tried to break my engine!

Just finishing-up the rebuild of the V8 from the 110 and came to check the preload on the tappets. Turning over the engine was quite tight in places which isn't what I'd expect from past experience. Looking at the tappets I noticed slightly strange behavior - it turns out that the new cam's grind is off, so on around half the valves the tappet is slightly overlapping (by maybe 10thou) the adjacent cam node as well as it's own. In most cases it's just enough to make the engine stiff where the tappet is rubbing, but on one where the two adjacent peaks are close it's enough to hold the valve open between the two peaks. I doubt the engine would have lasted long if I hadn't noticed.

Sniffy e-mail to Paddocks and Britpart in order I think.

Andy.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland