broken halfshaft or diff?

I made a lucky guess and decided to pull out the halfshaft that

a) had the biggest oil leak b) i could get at without moving the landy

and it turned out that was the broken one (the short rear one). It had snapped right at the hub end too so it was easy to pull out :)

However it has chewed up and seemingly welded up the bearing nut, so that isnt coming off in a rush - and it looks like it will need a stub axle too.

I've cleaned out all the lumpy bits, and hopefully not too many of them have gone into the roller bearing.

Am going to go out on the scrounge tonight and see if i can find a halfshaft - thought it looks like a new one is only £15 which aint too bad.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've an old IIa stub axle but it's got the smaller wheel nuts type. Dunno if thats any use? Tis over at ma and pa's so would need to dig it out. No idea what happened to the half shafts thou.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Its a 2a axle anyway i think (s'got 2/2A hubs).

The hub is fine, its just worn the end of the stub axle and the outer hub nut down into a big lump. I'm just going to do the halfshaft for now and leave the rest till the bearing needs attention - for the amount of miles i do in the landy now its not worth doing much!

There is a series 3 axle round at my mates - does this have the same number of splines on the shaft or are they different? My broken one has 10 lumps.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Depends. Early S3 were 10, late ones went to 24. All lwb had Salisbury rear axles, different 24 spline half axles. All S3 hubs had 16mm rather than

9/16BSF studs, very late S2a also had them and a few had 9/16BSF with the larger nut size. JD
Reply to
JD

Is it fixed Tom?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

getting excited now!

btw, MemoryMap is hopeless. To get the maps I can either spend a fortune and get half of the UK, or get so many square feet made to order in about 10 days! Why can't I just download the specific Landranger that covers the area I'm going to drive in?

Out to the local OS stockist to get an old-fashioned paper one tomorrow I think...

Max wading depth is 450mm - what do you reckon?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Get a waterproof cover for the map ;-)

Which reminds me of two things....

  1. Check if the wading plug exists on Morph cos if it doesn't I dont fancy pushing three and a half tonnes of LR up a river emankment, I doubt it's there so may cry off any water feature yet.
  2. Pack shorts and a towel.

Not a clue as to the depths were going to see... two crossings, one is described only as a ford...the other as 18 to 30 inches depending on who's wife measures ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Pah! Never bothered with 'em....

Good plan. And well done for volunteering.

Remind me to show you the picture of a mate's 90 in a ford. Well, it's a picture of the roof actually. He sort of 'fell off'....

My list (mostly picnic based...)

  1. Clean out fridge and establish whether power is available in rear bed.
  2. Go to shop and replenish sausage stores and other snacks
  3. Find spare wheel (assume it's underneath somewhere) and consider putting it in rear bed, just in case
  4. Get maps
  5. Get a bluetooth GPS thingy talking to laptop - going to use Google Earth on tablet pc whilst running along, so we can see where we are. Resolution is crap round there, but can at least see main features.
  6. Get DVD player for Charlotte! - keep not quite getting tuits
  7. Clean off memory cards and get camera kit sorted

Mrs H is concerned about toilet stops and generally keeping the little one amused. I've assured her it's all under control, but she's seen right through me. Just read your previous mail about lake and visitors centre, which seems reassuring!

The 7am start looks like a bold plan, given that I'm now going to a dinner do on Friday night! Will have to lay off the good stuff, which is a right pain since my bank manager is paying the bill!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs