Brrrr !!

Having owned my E registered 90 for just over a fortnight and with temperatures outside declining I'd appreciate any comments on how to get the most out of the heaters. I was under no illusions when I bought the vehicle that the heaters where far from adequate, I have also toyed with the idea of buying one of those ceramic heaters for about £20, but I'd assume these pull a lot of current from the battery. Any constructive ideas appreciated. Regards Dennis /subzero Cumbria

Reply to
Otto

dont know about a 90 but in my series ive fitte a second smiths flat heater on the rear bulkhead,

and im going to fit another one in the front, so all in all ill have 3 heaters, should just about thaw me out,

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Rab down clothing ;-)

But seriously it is good stuff and will keep you warm.

HTH Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

My heater appears not to be working at all, the cable is very stiff and has pulled itself out of its anchorage at the end where the levers are so I assume that whatever it pulls on the other end is stuck and I am not sure how to free it off. I must get myself a workshop manual. Anyone know what I should do ?

Reply to
Larry

Most likely the inner has rusted to the outer. Heater cables often have a stiff single wire inner. Remove cable complete, heat with blow torch to free it and then lubricate well, or if you work in the IT industry pay someone to put a new one in.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

Don't think its the cable, I am pretty sure it is the valve or whatever it is that it is supposed to open that needs loosening but I have no idea how to go about this until I have a better idea of what goes where. I'm just a beginner remember.

Reply to
Larry

Larry tried to scribble ...

Yeah, on my S3 it was the 'windmill' valve. We freed it off and had a great, well OK, working heater for a while. However we think it may have been stuck for a year or three as within about 200 miles it exploded a hose and its's own seals, leaving the engine bay rather more 'rusty' coloured than it had been .. ;)

Look here for a couple of pics of it .. though the majority had been cleaned up when we took the pics ..

Paul - xxx

On or around Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:01:20 -0000, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

yours ain't the same as his...

on the S3, the heater is controlled by a valve in the water supply.

on the 90/110 it has a continuous flow and controls it by mixing cold and hot air.

If the heat control is stuck on yours, it could be the valve, don;t waste too long faffing with it as a new one's only about 15 quid from Paddock.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:42:09 -0800, "Otto" enlightened us thusly:

grab the hoses where they go into the heater box, and se if the element is rattling around inside the box - if so, it's probably worth pulling the whole box out, drilling out the rivets on the top, and putting some more foam rubber around the element to stop some of the supposedly-hot air from bypassing it.

failing that, swap the pipes on the heater element and see if it's any better (was on mine!)

also check that the engine's up to temperature; fit a new thermostat if necessary.

finally, put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad. to block about half of it off :-)

however, done all that to mine and the heater's only just adequate on cold mornings. I'm going to find out sometime if the new heater box on the recent defenders has a bigger/better rad in it, and if it's worth getting one. I'm also investigating preheaters for the TDi disco, which takes about

10 miles of motoring to get up to temperature, even with a new thermostat.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

not tried this myself, but one or two of the chaps from the local club have like a ram airscoop type thing mounted on the wing where the heater draws the air in. You unscrew the plastic cover and just replace it with this scoop. Only works at speed (obviously) but its supposedly able to double the output of your heater in terms of air volume and hence heat. Might give it a go on mine, but its not really bothering me yet as i`m used to my series 2 that didn`t have any heater at all, so my defender is in comparion a bloody sauna!!!

nick c series 2a d90 300tdi

Reply to
Nick C

run around the motor for twenty minutes before getting in, you should be lovely and warm then.................. hehehehe

Reply to
yup