bugger - 2.5D leaking out of timing cover

2.5 n/a sherpa diesel.

I've only been driving it for 2 days since having the clutch done!

Noticed a bit of a rattle today when it was ticking over. Opened bonnet and saw that my timing cover is rattling because its lost a bolt.

This doesnt seem too bad - but the fact that there is a significant amount of oil leaking out of the timing cover does. Enough that in 5 mins of ticking over i had a puddle around the size of a beer mat on the gravel :(

I cant tell in the manual - is there an oil seal round the crankshaft at the backside of the timing cover? or where else is this oil likely to be coming in from otherwise?

Ive pulled the cover back (its only a flimsy sheet on the sherpa engine), and its very wet in there all over the timing belt and everything.

Reply to
Tom Woods

everything.

Was the bolt loose which holds the crankshaft pulley, if so it could just be oil finding it's way through between the crank and pulley. Otherwise, yes, there's an oil seal at the front of the crank and also one at the camshaft, both pressed in the inner casing, ETC5065 for crank, and ETC5064 for camshaft. These numbers are for the N/A Landrover engine, the Sherpa may be different, but I wouldn't think so.

Martin

Reply to
Oily