buggering landrovers!

Why do they always break down when you have taken your toolbox out of the back? Ive been driving around with it there for the last week but had to rush out to get a fanbelt for the car and forgot to put it back in. Then what does it do but die. bastard thing!

I had my timing gun, 1 big blunt screwdriver and a pair of pliers in there.

In the 101..

When cranking it there were sparks all over the coil terminals which didnt look good to me, so i assumed my electric ignition module had died (it has wires going to coil +ve, -ve and the dissy). Fortunetly i still had loads of ignition spares and the old system in the back. Coil change made no difference.

So i spent about an hour rebuilding the ignition back to non-electric (you also have to refit the condensor in the dissy which is hard when it is a very large blunt screwdriver).

Then found i had sparks on the HT leads again but it still wouldnt start. replaced the points, dissy rotor arm and cap. Still wouldnt start. Checked the timing (statically). No joy

As a last resort as the battery was starting to die a bit i thought i'd try it on petrol before ringing the RAC (and sending a begging text to Lee asking for a tow!)... and it fired right up! so i quickly drove it home (rolling much of the way with the engine off as there was only 4liters of fuel in the tank!)

LPG guage on the tank reads half full (which i right for the mileage ive done). solenoids in the engine bay click.

I'm assuming either:

a) i didnt diagnose the lack of spark properly due to being hot, stressed and pissed off and it is infact just an LPG issue.

b) my electric ignition blew up and took the coil sensing bit of the LPG controller out with it. Is this likely - though it should still start for a second shouldnt it as it gives it a brief 'gasp' of gas? (i can hear it hiss so the solenoids are opening atleast briefly)

any other ideas?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Are you sure that your LPG gauge/sender set-up reads correctly? I know that ours can be a long way out and needs to be reset all too often. That is partly why we keep our reserve tank topped up at all times.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

The LED gauge is crap but i was looking at the real physical gauge on the tank which has always been fine in the past. It is currently reading half full and ive done about 100km since last fill up - so there should be some left. When i filled it up a couple of days ago the gauge was reading below the bottom and I got 60 litres in - so it was fairly empty.

now i've sat and thought about it i will try having the LPG filter out and see if any gas comes out, and go check my tank solenoid is clicking.

Will try the switch out of my car too - the car which is currently marooned front hubless in the middle of the drive meaning that you cant actually get in the doors on the 101 - so have to climb in the back!

To piss me off further tonight - part of the reason i popped out again was to get some milk from the newsagent. opened it tonight for a cup of tea and some shreddies and its off and full of lumps!. grr. didnt find this till after id poured it either.

Tom Woods

Oh yuk!

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Dunno Tom I'm new to LPG and I'm going grey trying to get the Rangy ticking over, above 1200rpm she's spot on but the idle isn't there I'm about 5 minutes from plan B. which involves flogging her and getting a 2 1/4 ex army. fizzin eck. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Not using that fridge then ? ;-)

S'got to be either no gas or electrical resulting in no gas but I guess you have worked that out already.

Sounds like you had fun! I've been on Noons so worked out well after all. It's best these things conken outen close to home and not on the long haul unofficial :-)

Morph only stranded me once and that was when the oil pressure sensor wire fell off , quick roll underneath, bobbed the lead on and sorted.... shortly after all that crap was ripped right out. The thought of pushing a 101 anywhere was not something I was looking forward too.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

LPG is dead simple compared to petrol! (mixers are anyhow)

Is it on a simple vaporiser+mixer set up or on injectors?

Reply to
Tom Woods

The milk was there for the first trip only - i remembered to get that but forgot the fanbelt! would rather have forgotten the milk!

I left the fridge at work and havent managed to go back and claim it yet!

I've just had a nasty thought.... I've had 4 landrover breakdowns in my landrovering career. and 3 of them have been in a half mile radius of where the 101 broke down today. (the 101 died within sight of where the 2A killed an injector a few years ago) I must plan alternative routes or move to the bottom of that hill so i can roll home!

mine only did this because i took the tool box out..... I even have a spare ignition box sitting out in the car waiting to move across into the 101! lot of use there...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes. Get a Toyota.

Reply to
wavemechanic

What's the toyota equivalent of a 101FC?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Isn't it strange that the moment I saw this reply I knew it could only have been penned by a convict from the Mouth Island. Checking the headers confirmed it was.

Reply to
EMB

Do they do a hilux ambi? :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

This:

badge this as a Hino.

Reply to
wavemechanic

Hey, I resemble that remark. And I own a Land Rover- ok, a Range Rover. I'm just not under any illusions as to it's reliability. They can't afford to take chances in the Outback, hence the prevalence of Toyotas. I would be delighted if Land Rover product was as reliable; sadly, LR seems to be heading away from simple designs (that can be repaired in the field if one has remembered one's toolbox) to ever-more complex machines that really shouldn't be taken too far from a Testbook. Just telling it like it is, as we do down here.

Reply to
wavemechanic

its not really much like a 101 - more like a truck.

Reply to
Tom Woods

it might not be reliable (currently) - but i did manage to repair it in the 'field' using only very limited tools and some swearing so you cant get much simpler ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Toyota, on the other hand, wouldn't dream of doing that...

The UN and aid agencies uses landcruisers a lot, but they all get modified by a company who spend their time... stripping out all the gadgets and making them simpler!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Vapouriser on an EFI I downloaded some info which turns out to be for a different model (looks the same) more fun today Derek

Reply to
Derek

There was a major win for LR against Toyota a few months back I think, on a UN job - The LR lasts forever in the field, the Toyotas were completely buggered after three years. Sorry, can't remember the source.

Steve

Reply to
steve

I have a Hilux - and I was just gently needling a trans-tasman neighbour. :-)

Reply to
EMB