buggrit.

OK, Edward II now has a shiney new distributor (never had a new one of them before, on anything!) and exactly the same problems... but at least the distributor is in decent nick.

also replaced with alternative items, plugs, coil, HT leads. And I've had a temporary supply from the battery + to the coil.

Suspicion back on fuel now. He's got a Weber 34ICH or similar, which is not entirely my favourite. I've had it apart and blown through every jet and passage I could find with the airline... not only was it not dirty, it's not solved the problem.

Anyone got a half-decent Zenith 36IV to sell cheap? I could get a shiney new one but they're over a hundred quid and I've not got the spare cash right now.

'course, now might be the time to experiment with a 90/110 manifold and twin-choke weber... was it Martin "Oily" who had one spare? I'm pretty sure I had a spare carb for it... hmmm. perhaps not. The only one I can find is, I think, from a ford of some kind, it appears to be a 38DGAS. Mind, I bet that'd make the 2¼ sit up and take notice :-)

I know I never got it together arrange getting it here...

36IV might be a better bet though, really, and simpler to install.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have you cleaned out the filter where the fuel inlet is on the Weber?, it's contained in a brass plug under the fuel inlet, a 3/4" or 19mm I think.

I removed the manifold and carb from the engine as you said you might come on the 17th of Feb but you didn't get in touch so, assuming you had sorted it, I chucked it to the back of the garage where it still resides, along with the heatshield for the starter. I also have a couple of the Series 3 type Zeniths and a progressive twin choke Weber from a Ford Pinto engine along with a couple of the Landrover Weber conversions, one of them in as new condition.

Martin.

The only one I can find

Reply to
Oily

Oily uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Olit what neck of the woods are you in? Sounds like an AFL express challenge to me.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Olit? Oily... dammed this cold weather.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Yep, it thickens up in the cold. :-)

"AFL express challenge" ?? East of Manchester

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:32:39 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

yes.

yeah, the plans to come to mancy dissolved into chaos - did eventually get there but by then I'd forgotten about it... while it'd be fun to try, the postage would be silly and it'd mean a bit more work than I really have time for.

If you've got a decent (read: nonshagged and usable) 36IV, that'd be the easy option. How much d'you want for one including chucking it in a suitably-padded box and posting it here?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote .......

Remind me of the original fault, did you say it doesn't even fire at all? I would have thought you would get *some* life out of it even if the carburettor was totally knackered.

Have you ascertained there is actually a spark at one of the leads from the distributor to the plugs, or, if so, looked down the carburettor mouth and operated the accelerator pump to see if there's any fuel squirting around in there or chucked any fuel, WD or Easystart etc. in there to see if it at least fires?

If so, it may be a good idea to go back to basics and check the compressions or that the valves are rocking on top dead centre in case you have a timing chain tensioner problem and the chain has jumped a few teeth or something like that. It's no good keep throwing money at it without knowing the problem but if you do need a carb I can send you one.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:54:59 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

runs iffy at idle, refuses to accelerate above idle and bangs and spits in the exhaust. There's clearly SOME fuel getting through. This is a fault which started out as an intermittent.

There's lots of petrol getting to the carb, the dizzy is new, and I swapped the coil, plugs and leads for other items that were previously working with no effect on the fault. The carb's been off and I've blown through all the jets and tubes I can find - not much dirt in evidence anyway. while the carb was off, I checked the accelerator pump and it works. The float appears not to have any leaks, certainly it's not got petrol in it.

It could possibly be an air leak in the manifold, but to make that much difference it'd have to be a hole about an inch across, and I think I'd have noticed. Undoing the pipe from the air cleaner while it's running makes no difference either.

I read somewhere that the weber 34ICH is prone to internal blockages, which is what it sounds like. I'll bung a Zenith on and see what happens.

it's got compression, I wound it on the handle - also, cranking sounds even, no "fast" sounding cylinder.

As you were on the carb, BTW: I've just won 2 on eBay for 34 quid plus a tenner postage. In the pics, one looks more or less brand new!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, we'll wait to see what happens then, could be a blockage or a loose connection anywhere in the ignition circuit, maybe even a manifold problem, inlet gasket or hotspot burned through, can you choke it with your hand over the carb top while running to see if it will suck out any debris?

Result then! :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:39:40 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

ah, forgot to mention that supplying live to the coil direct from the battery doesn't cure it either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

this any help Austin ? Derek What good is jam tomorrow (next April) if Brown nicks your bread now?

Reply to
Derek

On or around Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:39:40 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

hotspot is a possibility, though with the air cleaner hose off the carb sounds to be sucking convincingly. a small gasket leak on the inlet wouldn't produce the symptoms though - IME, small inlet leaks lead to erratic idle but more or less normal running with yer toe down, i.e. when there's next-to-no inlet vacuum.

I'll investigate the manifold while the carb's off though. Hotspot's more or less under the carb, ain't it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:21:28 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

handy, aye. I've been studying and decided to go back to a zenith though, 'specially as I've just got 2, cheap.

The word is that the Weber is undersized and achieves slightly better economy at the expense of running lean and making a bit less power, and in a SIII LWB you don't need less power :-)

The economy is hardly a major factor with a SIII.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, where the manifolds are bolted together.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:14:24 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

when I get the carb off I'll have a look. that and the carb are about the only things left to check.

Reply to
Austin Shackles