Bummer! I'm going to have to keep my Rangie for ever!

:-)

Article in parkers telling how 4x4 prices have fallen through the floor and dealers aren't wanting to take them as trade ins.

Lad at work trying to sell a very tidy 03 LWB Hard top Defender TD5 and got it on at £3000 under the forecourt price in Auto trader and only had one serious call in the last 7 weeks but no show.

Comapre this to another lad at work who has a Laguna same age and model as ours.. his gearbox has packed up and it's not worth replacing it, its an '01. Even away from main dealer prices hardly makes it viable - talk about a throw away culture we are building. Cars are becoming more like washing machines.. it's busted --- get a new one. Bonkers!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Marvellous, let me know when I can get a 110 double cab for a few grand!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Watch the price of 99/00 Discos and Rangies ramp up now I still fancy a series 2a for shooting and then a scooby outback for a runabout. Derek

Reply to
Derek

In the months since they announced that they were going to put road tax up over £2 billion has been wiped off the values of used cars.

As an example, a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 "30th Anniversary" is now losing over £1000 a month in depreciation. Trade price is now below £5k for one, retail is below £8k. In January this was a £15k car.

I bought a '95 4.6 HSE in May for £1500 thinking "bargain", I sold it for the same after a month and I'm thinking I got out at the right time.

Bought an R reg 4.6 HSE in May for £1500 and that's going to be broken for scrap as it's not worth much more than that now. It'll break for that as it's got a nearly new engine and has had £7k spent on it in the last couple of years so it's got loads of nearly new bits on.

Bought a 2000 "X" reg, 80k mile 4.6 Vogue a couple of weeks ago for £3000, luckily I've found a buyer for that as it is a lovely one, but there isn't much profit in it. Not considering I sold an identical one in January for £7995.

All this mayhem has convinced me that it's not worth buying another one until the market settles down a bit.

Reply to
Pete M

I don't care if my Rangie does last for ever, I like it. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I have finally found my perfect car, but I think I'll lease my next one.

Reply to
Nige

But anything pre 2000 has just gone £1,000

Reply to
William Black

And the article says it's only petrol-engined 4x4s that are suffering so the TD5 shouldn't really be affected. I'm told that hard-tops can be quite hard to sell anyway as people tend to go for pick-ups or CSWs (I've got an ex-hard-top myself).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No idea why.

A couple of hundred quid and half a day with a spanner and a rivet gun will turn most Defenders into rag tops or station wagons...

Reply to
William Black

In all honesty, how many Defender owners these days would have clue ?

Steve

Reply to
steve

Not sure about turning it into a CSW, that involves cutting doors in the sides and adding the frames, also seats, belts, trim, windows etc etc.

My truck though has gone from hard top to full rag top to truck cab, it might have to have a seat or two bolted into the back as it's not allowed into the local rubbish tip because they have those stupid blunt rules about the type of vehicle you can turn up in. Landy pickup driven by me, well-known chap at the tip, is not allowed, but pinz 6x6 with 2x the load space driven by same bloke is fine!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings