Buncefield destroys 101 Vampire

?

It didn't melt. I've mentioned this already.

Reply to
Mother

For it to go off properly you need finely powdered iron oxide and aluminium don't you ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I said more or less that yesterday..The tyres are still intact too. I assume the owner is a member of the club. Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

So, how far did the bits go???

Lizzy

Reply to
LizzyTaylor

Theres quite a bit of insulation on the floor round it. I'm assuming vampires are insulated internally like ambi's - in which case some of it is probably there!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Perhaps the force of the explosion caused a temporal instability in the interstitial vortex of the space time fabric and it disapeared through a wormhole :)

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for that.Some great pics there. The '60's colour schemes on the yellow/blue , purple, and yellow with flame job crack me up. Too much acid earlier in life.....?

Reply to
Brian

"Larry" , whilst on drugs, wrote :-

Space time fabric? Don't you mean Space Time Continuum? Or maybe the Bimbleweeny Sub-Meeson Processor was connected to the Brownium Motion Producer arse-about-face? ;-) Or maybe even the hoopy frood lost his towel........

Unless you've read the "hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy you wouldn't understand.....

Badger. (Not on any sort of recreational drugs at the time of writing!)

Reply to
Badger

Yep. Eddie's sofa still in the continuum.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Auto ignition temperature: 649 degC

I suspect if it got hot enough to melt the aluminium it got hot enough to burn it but the oxide protects the surface.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

LOL... And not just any purple.....It's 'Deep Purple'.

But the question needs asking.....WHY?

Reply to
Brian

As the owner of the purple one I'd have to say that I truly can't remember...

Reply to
Mother

...and Alex spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

He said *if* you get them hot enough - point proved. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Badger spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Coincidence. Long drive last weekend, stopped at a service area and bought the full BBC version on CD. Many, many laughs on the way home.

"It's a bit like being drunk." "What's so terrible about that?" "Ask a glass of water."

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I think the thin layer of oxide immediately forms on top and prevents air any access, if you supply it as filings with another oxidant, like the iron oxide in thermite, it goes ok. Not something I have tried, though I have cast aluminium and that succeeds without losing the lot.

Also beware that the aluminium can burn without a flame as there will be no gas phase ( a flame is an area of combining gases if I can remember O level chemistry lessons 40 years back)

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Eh ? Seen plenty of molten aluminium in air not igniting.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:34:48 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

got that on a set of cassettes. dead good, it is.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm not trying to answer for Martyn here, but whenever anybody asks me that question i have to answer 'why not?' :)

(When i said that i was thinking of painting my 101 red and blue the other day my mates called me a hippy. I think they met Martyn and Grumble at billing a few years back...:-) )

Reply to
Tom Woods

I thought that with the buncefield explosion and this 101 what destroyed it was the air movement of the explosion not the heat or fire.

From what i've read anything solid (like this vampire :-( ) was knackered but anything that wasnt fixed down or too heavy (like people) was just thrown around.

I've read stuff about a security guard i think who was thrown across a room but not actually hurt. which implies to me that it was a very big bang but not a hot one.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Wasn't that a song by someone?

Alex