Burning waste oil

Anyone here know the deal on this? Mate of mine ends up with lots of waste oil from his business and is thinking of buying a heater for his workshop that runs on waste oil. You can get a permit type of thing from the council but it seems to be for burning your own waste oil rather than what arises from a business. Any information appreciated..

Reply to
mark

In Scotland you need a licence from SEPA.Not cheap.

Reply to
mark

Sell it as timber fence sealant. :-)

Reply to
werdan

On or around Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:47:29 +0100, mark enlightened us thusly:

it's controlled waste or somesuch now and as such you need licences and a proper machine that burns it cleanly. some garages still do, others CBA any more.

trouble is, you still have to dispose of the waste oil correctly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not for sure!

It looks like he's covered by: "Secretary of State's Guidance for Waste Oil and Recovered Oil Burners Less Than 0.4MW"

Generally once you get involved with this sort of thing the licenses and inspections for compliance tend to cost more than any savings to be had.

What interests me in this is just how much metal contamination ends up in the atmosphere from this and how it compares with the same contaminants in normal petrol or diesel engine exhausts.

From what I have read it looks like the newer "atomising" burners put virtually all the metal contamination up the stack and leave little ash, whereas the older vaporising type leave 50% of the metals (from bearing wear) in the ash but then the ash is hazardous and must be disposed of properly.

I don't have much of a disposal problem as I have a long change interval on the 110 and only change tractor oils about once a year, I dispose of this without charge at a local garage.

On the surface it looks like the best environmental path is to have the oil properly recycled as a lubricant, next best burn it in a large industrial plant with proper facilities for dealing with stack emissions.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

That's what I use on my fences. about 15%-25% creosote the rest is used oil, which I spray on. Works a treat. My garage guy gives it to me for free though....

Reply to
madhatchetman

Where do you get your real creosote? That's been banned now...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can you mix it with lidl veggie oil and run a 200TDI on it?

Reply to
vertuas

Only for 'domestic' use. It's still available to farmers and fencing contractors, AIUI.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Thanks Si I thought I was seeing things down the agri supplies they seem to have quuite a lot I've still got 1/2 gallon in the shed tho' Derek Kato 200Tdi Disco vegoil +ve

Reply to
Derek

Bloody dreadful stuff. I used to dip 6 foot 4x4 timber into a tank of the stuff by hand for a saturday job, and during school holidays, it was that all week or leave the house at 6 and work on building sites with fencing contractors and get back at 7 at night. I took the site option. I can still smell the stuff whenever I see a set of thick rubber gloves.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I quite like the smell. Yeah I got mine from a shed-making guy that I know. They can still get it.

Mixed with oil its smell is less obvious, and I wonder whether just a bit of diesel in the oil would work just as well, my theory is that the creosote helps the wood absorb the oil.

Reply to
madhatchetman