Bust Half shaft removal?

Yup the other one out and prod it through..of it won't come ot theres clearly bit's missing then the diff will need to be removed....sorry!!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ken Harmes

Remove, or partly remove the left HS, disconnect the rear of the prop shaft, and then remove the diff. Careful, its heavy. Helps to drain the oil first. JD

Reply to
JD

It's not advisable. Sods law says it won't work, and anyway you should take the diff out to be sure there's no swarf floating around, or any other bits of metal. Someone on here recently had a halfshaft go, and when he took the diff out, one of the planet gears in the diff had disintegrated.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Like the others said you need to take the diff out. On the rover axle there's very little space to pass a rod past the shaft the planet gears are on. They've normally been chafing away a bit so swarf needs cleaning out in any case.

Undo the other half shaft and pull it out of engagement, note the position of the yoke on the nose of the propshaft, remove it, find a mate with a fat gut to undo the diff and wriggle out with it.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

I,ve broken my back right half shaft off on my S3. right at the diff end, and obviously it did'nt come out when I pulled the shaft out. How the blue blazes do I get the bloody thing out. Patrick

P.S. its a rover axle

Reply to
Patrick

Well this is good news Lee. So just run this by me again. I take of the other half shaft and then poke something through from that side to knock the piece out, Is that it? Patrick

---------- >>

Reply to
Patrick

All the above plus. A trolley jack is useful to pull the diff in and out without breaking any bones. Above all you MUST get out all the swarf. Wash out with paraffin or similar to get rid of the viscous oil, then put a magnet in a poly bag and run round the inside of the casing. Good fun isn't it.

Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

Yes No joy with various thickness of rod, and its not suprising as when I took the diff out in the end as you say there's not a lot of room One nice little twist the LR had up its sleeve was that I had trouble getting the diff out as stump of half shaft was holding it, so had to push it in, had it been an inch longer this would'nt have worked. Oh and now I know to be careful feeling round for swarf, its bloody sharp.

Thanks for the advice Patrick

Reply to
Patrick