Buttons on dash not illuminating (Disco 300Tdi)

I'm sure this question must be answered somewhere on t'interweb but I'm not sure what to google for.

Two of the buttons on my dash (1997 300 Tdi Disco) are not illuminating. The heated windscreen button does not glow in the dark - although the light does come on to show that the button has been pressed in - and the rear-screen demister DOES glow in the dark but the orange light does not come on when I press the button.

Both buttons, when removed, have green and orange round things in them. I presume one of these round things has blown or broken - but I don't know what they are. Can I replace just the coloured round things? If so, what do I ask for and where do I buy them? And how do I get them out? If not, do I need to replace the whole button?

I'm sure this should be a simple job but I'm flummoxed.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

"Round bits" are little tiny bulbs, rather sweet actually...

1/4 turn acw with a srewy removes them.

I think they are LR specific. I have found white ones in a car accessory place, but orange and green seem to be dealer or good indie only.

Richard could supply.....PING

STC 1877 orange, STC1878 green

Whilst we are here, price for a rear fog switch please? AMR3712

David

(Sad enough that the non-illumination and occasional stickiness of my rear fog switch really bothers me...)

Reply to
rads

Coo, they *are* cute, aren't they.

Thanks!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Do they screw in? On the 200 they were a push fit. I'm glad I found out as I now have a 300! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I'm still not quite sure. I found that they just go round and round when I turn them with a screwdriver but, when I levered one out, it sort of broke (!). I need to see a new one first before I decide on the removal strategy.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

things? If

Push a bit of thin walled tubing (electrical sleeving works) over the bulb then withdraw and hey presto out comes the bulb. (A trick learned YEARS ... even DECADES ... ago working on BT switchboards!)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

These are a bulb-in-holder, which you can only get to the back of.

I think, 1/4 turn acw then (very) gentle persuasion with a fine screwdriver.

David

Reply to
rads

No, they will not screw in. They have bayonette mount like all other bulbs, but so tiny you'll break them on first try. For me the turn 1/4 round(until stop) - hit - search the bulb technique worked best for removal. Assembly is reverse to removal with just "fit" instead of "hit".

Hard part is finding a correct replacement bulb and removal of that tiny yellow or green condom from old bulb in one piece, as i got clear bulbs from local TV repair shop.

Cheers, Kalev

Reply to
Kalev Kadak