buying a disco II

I , am thinking of buying a disco II diesel auto SE but i need some help with things to look fore when i am looking at a disco II which problems can i expect with a car of 2000- 2001 i read some about a fire getting started under the bonnet because of leaking brake oil. when towing a caravan of 2000 kilo how long will the auto gearbox live ? and are there problems to expect with the air suspension ? . I now one a 1994 3.9xfi disco 1 Row spec (non cat)for 6 years. a lovely car but because of more Km a year i need to switch to diesel. all the advise is helpfull

regards from a dutchie ;-) rob

Reply to
rob

...and rob spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Hi Rob

Just bought one, 2001MY. Fantastic car. Nearly all the luxury of my late Range Rover P38, 50% better economy.

I've never heard of this happening.

The Disco is built to tow 3500Kg without any modification. It will tow your caravan no problem. The autoboxes last well - some say better than the manuals. It's certainly easier towing with an auto.

and are there problems to expect with the air suspension ? .

Er - yes! Mine has just failed big time, two weeks into my ownership. It is fixable, although may be expensive, depending on what has gone wrong. An LR main dealer is your best bet. (Mine is going back to the supplying dealer, a non-LR operation. I sincerely hope they are totally baffled by it and take it to the LR main dealer across the road!) The air springs are a doddle to change, but the pump, computer etc are big bills. There are kits to convert to coils if you are really worried. I've had the air suspension on a previous Disco 2 and a RR P38 and had no problems at all. For towing, the self-levelling is amazingly good.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

IIRC, there was a problem on some early SII Disco's with the power steering pipes coming apart - ends coming off, or something similar. Not sure what years that involved but was fixed under a recall/warranty deal.

Reply to
SteveG