Buying Advice, Disco 2 or 3

Hi Folks,

The Disco 1 is waiting forlornly outside the garage, who tomorrow I expect to tell me that a sumpsworth of oil dumped in about 20 miles is probably the result of a bad and expensive thing, and may wellhave resulted in several other bad or expensive things.

As a result or learning no lessons thus far from land rover ovwnership I am considering what to replace it with.

I'm looking at a budget of about 15k, and looking at autotrader, I see that this will get me a Disco 2 or 3.

Which is the better motor at that money, and are there any particular pitfalls to be aware of?

I want cruise control, auto and air con, and preferably diesel, though i'm happy to consider another LPG V8 if such things are still done to the later Discos.

Maky thanks in advance for sharing our collective wisdom (and of course banter!)

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

You don't give an age/mileage/warranty specification. Any Disco II's out there now are going to be the best part of 5 years old minimum (the stopped production around 2004) so probably >50k miles and even the full spec ones not a great deal more than =A310k. You'll be lucky to get a DII with a LR Approved or even LR Select Warranty these days, age and mileages are too high.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

RR

Reply to
Nige

Seconded, get a nice RRIII in your price range and plenty to chose from so pick a top spec one.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Much better car than either the D2 or D3 in every way.

More reliable too.

Reply to
Nige

">>>> Hi Folks,

If you don't need 7 seats then the Range Rover TD6 is a good buy, if you do need the extra room then a D3 is light years better than the D2 in every respect. I have owned a few and never had any real reliability issues. What I would say though is for either Disco go for an auto as the manuals are not that nice to drive, the electronic handbrake on D3's can be troublesome if you plan to go off-road as mud gets into the mechanism, less of an issue on the Auto as you can use the Park position! In terms of spec, the 'S' model D3 gets all the toys you really need, just avoid the base spec cars (later badged GS) as they really are basic.

Either way go for the newest, lowest mileage you can find and get a decent warranty, there are good aftermarket cover plans available for peace of mind even if you buy private.

HTH

Reply to
Andy

Hi,

Been there, I wanted a TD5 but so few good ones on the market I went for a TDV6. I still like the TD5's but the few good ones are entering the TDV6 price range. All the kit you want is standard in the S model. I can get 32-34 mpg on a

25mile trip to work manual box. or you can put your foot down and have fun. Loads of information if you join the Disco 3 group, The V6 sounds great and is so different from a TD5. Towing the caravan is no effort, keeping below 60 is the problem... cruise control and overspeed warning come in useful here..

Reply to
Martyn Dean