Can anyone explain why my '96 Disco wouldnt start for 15 minutes?

Hi

After dropping my son off at school this morning I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition lock of my 96 Disco - it's a problem which occurrs rarely. After about15 minutes of fiddling I finally got it to work but then found that the engine would turn over but not fire up - I assume because the immobiliser had cut it. I know from my Haynes manual that the immobiliser cuts in automatically when the vehicle is left even when it's not locked, but should cut out when the alarm key fob is sensed by the vehicle. After about another 15 minutes it finally started as normal.

Can anyone explain what happened please?

Regards

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Tony,

I use to get this in my 300tdi Disco '96. Firstly I'd change the battery in the fob and then if you have one, use a spare key and get another cut from the spare. This is assuming of course that the spare doesn't have the problem turning the ignition. If it does then your probably looking at a new ignition barrel - from memory though you can swap over the immobiliser piece from the old barrel to the new without having to get it all setup again/programmed.

cheers Gavin

Reply to
spoons1969

Just checking --- did you turn it while jiggling the steering wheel? Most of my cars have occasionally needed a jiggle to free the lock up, something to do with the steering lock.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My money in on the ignition switch and the contacts within being dislodged / worn hence your need to jiggle.

Were the ignition lights on during the process as you would normally expect?

I think the 15 minute delay is just movement in the contacts and a red herring regards the immobiliser. ICBW though.

Also is it a diesel or petrol?

Failing all the above check for match sticks / glue in the lock - I note you were enroute to school. Maybe an unwilling passenger ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On mine, if the immobiliser is not deactivated by the transponder in the key (noted by a key symbol remaining illuminated on the dash) then the engine won't even begin to turn over on the starter, so I don't think the engine turning over is a sign that the immobiliser is activated - could be wrong as immobilisers do vary, but that is how it is on mine. Mine is a 96 Tdi, with the 2-button fob (there is an earlier 1 button fob which is a different system BTW).

I never lock the Disco with either the fob or the key, and never have a problem with the immob. - the engine immobiliser (deactivated by the transponder in the key) is nothing to do with the fob. The fob only activates/deactivates the vehicle's alarm system and locks/unlocks the doors.

The key not turning at all sounds like the steering lock was engaged, and needed the steering wheel 'jiggling", as Ian has already mentioned, to free it up. I do note however from the bills I have, that at some point the ignition barrel has been replaced on mine - a weak point perhaps?

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

I had this once and spent about an hour blocking a set of fuel pumps at my local ASDA :-)

Called the AA and the guy squirted some graphite grease into the lock barrel and the key turned first time - d'oh! Never had the problem again, so that might be a solution :-)

Reply to
SteveG

completely sieze up the steering lock on my '96 Disco last month waggling the locked steering wheel to encourage it to release. Total damage, including supply fitting new steering lock, new keys etc and recovery was nearly £200 plus 2 days off the road....k

Reply to
karangahape

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:03:19 -0500, SteveG wrote (in article ):

I have this problem with one set up keys. I have to turn them upside down. Maybe a little WD40?

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

My 1997 Disco is on it's third Ignition switch! The key barrel wears out quite quickly. Last one the tumblers were rattling around inside it when I got it off. It's a twenty minute job to change it. The bolts holding the lock on have sheer off heads, but can be easily undone by tapping them round with a long screwdriver.

As for the electrical side, that's easy. The actual switch part separates easily from the lock. Use new lock and existing wiring and hey presto, done!

My recommendation is to get this done ASAP - once they start getting sticky, they can suddenly fail completely. That happened to me at a deserted fuel pump in the back of a haulers yard where I was getting some diesel ready for a 9 hour drive to SA (we don't get fuel at filling stations here in Zimbabwe). Had to get the wife to bring out the toolkit and remove steering lock. You can then start then engine with a screwdriver in the switch mechanism.

Cheers Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

P.S. Was anyone from Australia watching the 20-20 cricket?!

Reply to
Graham Carter

WD40 is likely to make matters worse as it will flush any lubricant in the barrel away and leave it bone dry.

Reply to
SteveG

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:19:31 -0500, SteveG wrote (in article ):

Interesting point. I used WD40 on my apt door lock and every thing has worked fine since then. From a couple of the other posts it sounds like replacement is the best bet. Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck