Capstan winch

Having had great success in replacing the clutch master cylinder in my

110 CSW on Friday evening (thanks for the parts Richard) I thought I'd go for an encore an install the capstan winch that had been sitting on the drive for the last 6 months!

The winch is mechanical and driven via a dog on the crankshaft pulley.

That again went (relatively!) smoothly and leaves me with only one question. Should I fit a hand throttle on the winch or will tickover be sufficient for winching operations?

Cheers

Peter (Never having winched in his life!)

Reply to
puffernutter

One of the disadvantages (though it has many advantages) of the capstan winch is that it is really a two-man operation, certainly for self-recovery (someone has to drive while someone else makes sure rope spooling off the capstan doesn't get caught up in something). If you are static and winching something else to you then you could do it yourself with a hand throttle, but as you'd be out of the vehicle coiling the rope then an "emergency stop" could be tricky - a capstan winch with a few revs behind it takes an *awful* lot of stopping.

Just my 2p's worth.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'm a firm believer in having an emergency cut-off for *any* winch fitted to a vehicle, and this should be fitted in a prominent place, ie right next to the winch. It only takes a second to get serious injuries from winching operations that go wrong.

If you're considering using a capstan winch for solo winching operations like Richard says, then you shouldn't even consider not having an emergency stop on the engine.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:51:31 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

Mind, unless you get it seriously wrong then I thought that you stopped it winching by letting the end in your hand go slack so that the drum stops gripping the rope. I think it was common to fit a hand throttle and in some cases a governor (wonder what the chance of finding that little gem intact now is?) when fitting an engine driven winch.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You will definitely not need anything faster than tickover with a capstan winch and if you've never used a winch before do *not* use it on your own until you get someone who can use it to demonstrate how. Another thing it's important to use the correct sort of rope, on no account use anything like nylon climbing ropes etc. Hemp rope is ok but be very careful

Martin

Reply to
Oily

A hand throttle is necessary for using a capstan winch. It is easy to stall the engine unless it is set to a fast idle, although it is probably not as bad with modern engines that idle around 1000rpm compared to the older engines that idle at about 500rpm. Even if there is a second person driving, using the foot throttle is not a good idea as it is too hard to keep a constant rpm.

The rope used is fairly critical and synthetic rope of any kind is not a good idea (If slipped on the drum it will melt and break, which can be a serious safety hazard). Hemp is preferred, but other natural fibres can be used. Although not recommended I have successfully used wire rope, but if used much spikes will develop.

The emergency stop is to stop pulling on the end of the rope. JD

The

Reply to
JD

I use a hand throttle on a home made T handle on the radiator grill, my friction device to make it stay in any one place is an old valve spring.

As others have said, an emergency stop is absolutely essential - contrary to what some have said, letting go the rope does NOT always stop the process, as the rope can bind - also, sometimes you want to stop while holding the load in place.

Also, always, always, wear gloves when using a capstan winch. First time the rope rips through your fingers you will know why :)

As to rope, speak to your local supplier (chandlers are best), show them the capstan and let them chose the rope for you. Polypropylene is a high friction rope but wears easily and is very poor (it melts) when heated, for example.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Sadly, not always - especially if you take 2.5 turns on the bollard as some recommend, you may well end up with a near clove hitch on the bollard if the rope jumps. Better to take a mere 1.5 turns and pull harder yourself - this makes it quite hard work, but the safety aspect is increased enormously. Rope diameter also is critical in this aspect.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Exactly so. No tension, no winching.

What rope do you plan on using with it?

Reply to
Natalie Drest

What is also important is that you have the right shear pins. It is also important that you read a good manual or get good instruction on how to deal with all the rope you pull through, i.e. do NOT get it looped round your arms/legs. Poor installation + poor technique is a recipe for serious body damge (yours, not the Landy).

I find my Series 1 needs a tad over tickover, so I do use a hand throttle, and an industrial style emergency stop button right at the spot on the wing where I would hit it if it all goes wrong.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

Only thing I found a capstan winch really useful for was winching such as a small boat up a banking out of the water, especially as it was sea water, saves dipping your chassis in salt water. Didn't keep it for long but changed it for a Warn 8274 which has done anything I've asked of it for quite a few years now with no trouble.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Good point. (and nice sig too).

I raised the question of rope type hoping that someone would comment on the merits of hempen fibre vs. nylon. I had good success with 11mm. kernmantle nylon semi-static rope. Coils up nicely too. Some have raised the potential of melting should friction get over 225 C. or thereabouts- thoiugh I never had even a suggestion of a problem with that. I did have a problem with the lugs jumping though...

Reply to
Natalie Drest

I can finally answer this question - a 12m length of 32mm natural manila rope.

On a related point (but out of sequence with the thread!) - to get advice on how to use it there is a group of 4x4 drivers who I guess do "tours" over Salisbury Plan (a number of 110s and 90s a rangie bob tail etc.) I occasionally see them on a Sunday morning when we take our spaniels up there for their walk.

Are any of you on this list? (I have the blue/white 110 with roofrack and three spaniels - not on the roof rack :-)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I'd forget hemp, get it wet and it rots, have a look at what the yachts use with their capstans, I think terylene is favourite, nylon stores too much energy and polyprop melts.

I agree the emergency stop in case a lay gets jammed under another.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Hemp will rot as you say - but note that yachts do not use power driven winches, so the potential for melting is greater on the capstan winch (you are right - yacht winches would normally use terylene). Another problem is that the synthetic ropes are a lot slipperier than natural fibres, and while yacht winches are designed for this, capstan winches are not, so that slipping under load is more likely. But if you do use a synthetic rope, terylene is probably the pick. Mind, it is a lot more expensive than hemp, even if more readily available. JD

Reply to
JD

You could try contacting your local club, Sommerset & Wilts being one

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd