Car park entrances

Anyone here know the legal height restrictions for car parks? Yes I scraped the roof of my beloved Edie and she aint happy. The height bar is not highlighted in yellow / black stripes and the actually height is written small and is only 6'4".

Reply to
Cyberwraith

In message , Cyberwraith writes

There seems to be a trend of setting them at 2 meters (6' 6") which is still too low for a 90 on the larger tyres (235s etc.). But I'm not aware of any legal limit.

Reply to
hugh

But is just high enough for a 90 on the tyres it was sold with...

Why should car park owners change their structures because people choose to modify their vehicles in a way not envisaged by the manufacturer?

On the other hand I didn't half hear a nasty scraping noise at the Ikea car park in Birmingham once...

They've put the bar up since...

Reply to
William Black

I heard a nasty scrape once ...... and when I went back, next day, the bar wasn't there at all!

I was borrowing a SWB safari, with a roofrack, which was 10" taller than my truckcab. Oops!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

I doubt there is one.

Ouch.

Did you scrape your roof after safely passing under the height bar? If you did I would say you have a case against the car park. The height bar is there to warn drivers that they are above or close to the stated clearance but before they encounter any concrete...

It maybe that the height bar is higher than the height it says it is and it certainly shouldn't be any higher than the stated clearance. IANL BTW...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , William Black writes

Sorry but mine was sold with the larger tyres from new and I believe they have been standard for all 90s for some time. Are they also not standard on 110s?

Reply to
hugh

Kato (D1) will fit at 6'6" provided I remember not to open the sunroofs otherwise they may well leak afterwards

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Standard 110 needs at least 2.05m - and I am very wary of anything under

2.1m, risky if you have a combination of dead empty, low fuel and new tyres! And then there are the experts who tell you the place for your antenna (phone, UHF etc) is in the middle of the roof where it has a good ground plane........

JD

Reply to
JD

If you mean 265/75 R16's, mine has those as well. It goes under a two meter bar with a couple of inches to spare.

Reply to
William Black

And then there are the experts who tell you the place for your

Anyone who mutters about 'ground plane' on a vehicle made from Birmabrite that is bolted together in sections obviously hasn't had the misfortune to play with a 'hard-top' FFR Landy and taken note of the complicated earthing arrangements necessary because of the construction of the body shell.

Reply to
William Black

I had been told about a country park where there are various walks and thought it would be a good trundle on my disabled scooter through the woods etc. I approached the car park which is parallel to the main road and you have to turn a 180 degree's back into it from my direction of travel. There were no signs telling of the height until you turn and enter then there it is. No space to stop and check. The wording is small and on a 1" square metal bar that suspends from the cross beam. I drove onto the carpark OK but when leaving scraped all the bloody roof! I have been informed that the height bar should have been non destructive plastic to simply warn not damage. I intend to phone the insurance tomorrow and get their advice.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

I forgot to state that Edie is a Disco on road tyres.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

Don't get me started on the height restriction into my local tip, sorry 'recycling centre'.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

My local tip used to have the height bar set at 2.1m. But now in their ultimate wisdom they've lowered it to 1.8m, for no reason at all, other than to stop people with larger cars going there, probably so they'd have to deal with less waste. I now have a RRC, and it "just" fits under with about 1/2 inch to spare, I'd be stuffed if I still had my Series 3. But I'm sure there are people with Galaxies et al as their only car who cannot take their waste to the tip without the hassle of having to prebook.

And they wonder why people aren't recycling enough....

-- Thanks, Paul

1992 RR Vogue SE
Reply to
Pacman

On or around Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:22:58 GMT, "Cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

You might have a claim against them if the height is incorrectly marked. I know a bloke who took his 109 under the barrier to a mutley story and proceeded to take out several flourescent lamps which they'd put on the ceiling. Said lamps were lower than the height barrier, and as a result said bloke declined to pay for the damage.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:56:09 +0100, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

standard ones are now 235/85R16 IIRC.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , William Black writes

Really? - than I would guess your tyres must be a bit under inflated or your suspension a bit down.

From my official handbook - General Specification.

Overall height - 2037mm which in any form of currency is greater than 2 metres.

You may of course get under a bar which is *nominally* 2 metres but which in fact is set a couple of inches higher.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Pacman writes

At our local tip hardtops are classed as commercial vehicles, CSWs are estates. Daft isn't it.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Yes I'm wary of that in Chester. I just touch the warning bar as I can go in but can actually get up the ramps OK, but in places there are junction boxes on the ceiling which are very very close.

Reply to
hugh

Ours has the rule that any 4x4 vehicle can come in, and that trumps all the other rules about pickups, vans, needing to have seats in the back etc. So a small escort van is barred, while a Landy 130 van with "I Chuckem Disposal Services Ltd" on the side is allowed in...

Mind you I can't complain, I'm about to turn my landy into a pickup, which would otherwise be excluded!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings