Cat D insurance write off?

Had a Xantia rear my Disco on Tuesday, the insurance company sent an assessor out today, and he thinks it's probably a borderline as to weather the repair is financially viable. The only damage is to the rear bumper, every bit of plastic in contact with the bumper, a small dent in the rear quarter panel, a dented tailpipe and a dent in a front spotlight ( pushed into the car in front).

Having googled, I think it would probably be classified as a CAT D write off. If it is, and I buy it back from the insurance company, do I need to get it MOT,ed before I can use it on the road again?

The Xantia obviously disintergrated on impact.

Reply to
John Woodison

A friend of mine's disco was written off after he caught it on fire while welding on it (!), he bought it off the insurance company and dismantled it, selling it piece by piece on ebay and got more for it than it was worth in one piece so if you have the space, spanners and inclination, might be worth thinking about.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That thought had crossed my mind, but although it has relatively little value, it still has plenty of life left in it, and it had only passed its MOT

4 days before the accident. My priority at the moment is to be able to drive it ( legally) to Abingdon in a couple of weeks.

Ps: If anybody has a rear bumper and / or assossiated trim for a

200 Discovery they would sell, I may be interested.
Reply to
John Woodison

My son recently had a minor bump in an old Rover 214. Insurance assesment was a Cat D write off as too expensive to repair. (it needed a new headlight and two blows with a lump hammer to make the tailgate work properly). They paid him the write off value and said he could keep the car. It apparently only needs a VIC if it is sold. Nothing ever said about a new MoT or surrendering the log book. He's chuffed to f**k, as he made about =A3250 out of the whole palaver, and the car's as good as it ever was.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

So let me get this right...

For a Cat D write-off, the company would be offering to give you the value of the car (or what they consider to be the value) rather than the higher cost of fixing it. At that point the car is theirs to do with as they pleae?

If so, you may be able to buy it back from them. In doing all this it never really changes hands in the sense that stuff appears in the log book? or does the log book get marked that the car is somehow written off?

If you do get to keep it what about re-insuring it? Will the same company then take you money again?

Am I making this more complicated than it is?

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Can I reccommend the heavy duty steel bumper, no flappy plastic corners and nice jacking points :) Keep meaning to buy one myself, my end caps are getting on my nerves...

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

The log book has to be surrendered so they can mark it that it *has* been damaged and that mark will never ever be removed; and it also has to have a VIC test before they will issue another one. The only time you can drive without an MOT is when you're actually taking it for one, that means it doesn't have to be taxed but has to be MOT'd to drive it to the VIC testing station, unless I suppose, you trailer it there. You can't tax it without the log book. The condition of any repair is not being checked, only it's integrity, in other words not repaired with stolen parts or two vehicles. The VIC test costs £36 and that covers the cost of a new log book, or so I was informed, but seeing as I had already applied for a new book, and paid for it, I was told to reclaim the money from the first application but I'm still bloody waiting, 4 months on, for my cash to be returned! Robbing barstewards. And yes, the same company will reinsure it, but they will shy away after a couple of times.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Not for cat D!

SimonJ

On or around Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:12:13 GMT, "John Woodison" enlightened us thusly:

Are you able to repair it yourself to a standard you will accept?

If so, make sure the insurance know. They will be assessing on dealer prices for parts and work and the cost will accordingly be about a grand. To buy a new bumper and fit it yourself and bodge the rest suitably will be a few hundred quid.

They even paid me something for my work on mine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Martin does that mean you cannot tax the car online as well where no log book is required? (nor any paper documentation ) Derek

Reply to
Derek

Yes I would certainly be able to do that, I would be happy with a second hand bumper and an aerosol can of green paint. As its my first insurance claim for damage to my own vehicle, I have no idea how flexible they are. I will wait for their decision and discuss my options with them.

Reply to
John Woodison

"Derek" wrote.............

I couldn't, simply because it wasn't registered in my name, and according to the official documentation kindly supplied by Simon, I read that as mine had to have the VIC test as I got it from the person (a friend of mine) who had been paid out (and who it was registered to) and then passed it on to me.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:55:10 GMT, "John Woodison" enlightened us thusly:

Mine was a 2-vehicle shunt. I'd not intended claiming for mine, since the parts to fix it were only a few quid and I could do it myself. However, the insurance assessor bloke came to examine the location of the shunt and we got to discussing it and he said "you can claim for yours and we'll pay £NN (I forget how much, not garage insurance rates) per hour for your work.

Reply to
Austin Shackles