CB Mount in a Disco

I'm just wondering,

Where does anybody with a Disco 200 tend to mount the CB itself these days? I'm trying to figure out something sensible, but all the options seem to be a poor compromise.

AFAICT a previous owner had one screwed to the plastic on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, but I'd be worried about passengers losing legs on the rig.

This is going to be a permanant installation, so I'm looking for something that keeps the rig usable while driving solo.

The rig in question is a Midland 2001

Any suggestions?

I've already mounted the twig for this - it looks a bit silly, but I'm sure it'll grow on me - it's mounted dead centre on a roofbar as far forward on the gutters as it's possible to mount, but because of the limitations of the mount I was using (Thunderpole Super Stud) and the fact that the bar it's mounted on is a 30mm box tube I ended up having to improvise....

The result is that I ended up using a small ally Maplin Project Box as a mounting point for the arial with the bottom of the box bolted to the rail and the top with the mount in it - it looks like it wants to be an FFR antenna when it grows up now.

Thanks for any advice.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I have a Uniden TX3400 which has a detachable/remote head. I have the head sitting just in front of the high / low range / CDL lever. The tranceiver is under the front seat.

Reply to
Graeme Willox

I put mine in the funny glove-compartment slot thing. You can easily remove it and cut holes in the top/back for cables. I found I wasn't using the slot for much anyway, as stuff tended to fall out, so it was quite a useful place to keep the CB out of harm's way. I was going to fashion a perspex flap for the front, to keep it out of site, but never got round to it, and never had any problems anyway, luckily.

Before this I tried mounting it between the driver's seat and the centre console but it tended to get snagged on the seatbelt clip so it didn't stay there long.

It's more of a problem in the TD5 as it has a "real" glove compartment which you can't really put a CB in. I'm thinking of getting one of those bulkhead units with the controls on the mic this time round.

David

Reply to
David French

The Cobras? They look quite nice and I was considering one, but I'm a cheapskate.

I've got a feeling mine's going to end up being mounted on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel as putting it in the cubby nook means that it isn't actually very useful for the driver.

The other option at present seems to be mounting it on a standoff and bolting the standoff to the dash.

I don't really want to do that as it will take up valuable space I'd already earmarked for a drinks holder.

That was one thing they got *very* right in the Disco2 was the number and location of cup holders.

P.

In pain having just finished fitting a set of JATE rings which were slightly too narrow for the mountings with the steering guard in place. Fortunately ignorance, brute force and a small trolley jack prevailed.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Hi P.

Does the Midland 2001 have a remote head unit?

I'm not familiar with CB's, but if it does have a remote head you could try the position where I mounted the front panel of my FT-100 in a Disco 300.

Check out:

M5WJF

Reply to
<M5WJF

Reply to
The Becketts

I'd get a smaller rig (kernow3100/midland38), & fit it in the map holder on the roof. Much less chance of engine noise/electrial interference etc, & It'll be well out of the way. SH then go for anything from 20-50..

Mark

Reply to
TheGhostOfSmokeyJoe

Hello,

Why would you want a CB at a disco, surely it would interfere with the audio equipment.

Reply to
AM200

I have mine mounted IN the glove-box tray.

3 screws in the top lip and a couple of support brackets behind (easily accessible from below after you have removed the under-dash trim) and the box comes out.

Hole in the back just big enough for the PL259 and you can bring the power and extension speaker leads through as well.

Neat, tidy and well out the way of passenger legs!

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for this - it's more or less the way I did it, although I was a bit silly and only made the hole big enough for the RG58 and fitted the PL259 afterwards.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown