CD/Radio display

Hi all

RR 4.6 1997

Radio display has started to go faded and dim and the little LED bars that make up the digits are almost unreadable. Couple of questions:

Is there a fix for this? If not, is the LED panel replaceable? If not, how much is a replacement unit? (I don't really want to know this.) I have a perfectly good Sony single disc CD player. Will I need several degrees in electronics to get this to work with the 6CD changer and controls, and will it even fit the aperture?

All advice appreciated. TIA.

Rich

First they came for the verbs and I said nothing, because verbing weirds langauge. Then they arrival for the nouns and I speech nothing because I no verbs.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

LEDs or LCDs? My 1995 HSE uses an LCD screen

Have a look at what I wrote about fixing the screens at

I do not recommend doing this unless you are adept with a soldering iron (I'm an electronics tech by trade)

Reply to
The Becketts

This could just be the backlight lamps for the display have failed, take a look at

Gazza

Reply to
Gazza

So "The Becketts" were, like

Thanks for this Ron. Excellent info on the site. My CD/radio is identical to the one on the site, so it must be an LCD screen (I am used to LCD being black on silver, which is why I thought LED first - oops). Having read it, I don't think my bulbs are faulty. My original description was a bit vague, perhaps. There is plenty of light behind the LCD panel. The problem is that in the main display (8 large digits) all the little bars are showing green, so where you should read BBC R4 (for example), all you see is eight large zeros with a vertical + and a diagonal X across the middle of each (IYSWIM - can't draw it in ASCII) - the actual character is not readable. The small text across the top (RDS, EON etc) and the disc number on the right are perfect. It's as if it's letting through too much light rather than not enough. If I uderstand how LCDs work, there are 16 bar-shaped apertures for each digit which can be made opaque by passing current through in different combinations, thus making the various letters and numbers. It looks like, for the majority of the panel, this isn't happening. Sorry to be long-winded - it's very easy to see and very hard to describe unless you know the technical terms. If the LCD panel is shot, does this scrap the whole unit? (I can solder at least well enough to do the bulb fix on the website.)

Perhaps time to think about the Sony.

Thanks

Rich

Reply to