Centrifugal oil filter

Greetings all

I have just had a question from a mate with a TD5 Disco II about the certrifugal oil filter and more specifically the maintenance thereof.

The only thing I know is that it is meant to work in conjunction with a normal filter to help extend the service intervals.

Does anyone out there have any other insight into these?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Don't know the intervals for a Discovery, but you can ask the dealer or find it in the maintenance manual. For a Defender are the service intervals: every 20.000 km replacement of the centrifugal filter every 60.000 km replacement of the oil filter Figures are for 'normal'use. I change the centrifugal filter every 15000 and the oil filter every 30000 km

regards Fred Defender 130

"fanie" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.mweb.co.za...

Reply to
Landy Fred

Increasing service intervals is part of the plan, but the main thing is to remove impurities down to three microns from the fuel to allow far more accurate injectors - all part of the battle to meet emissions regulations.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I think you may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. The centrifugal filter is in the oil circuit not fuel. Someone else said that it needs replacing at certain intervals. AFAIK it only needs cleaning.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The centrifugal filter is a replacement-only filter, no cleanable, and needs changing every 12,000 miles (20,000 km) according to the LR schedules. The 'standard' full-flow filter is then changed every 36,000 miles ().

The centrifugal filter removes particles of between 3 and 15 microns in diameter (the normal filter catches everything above 15 microns), and only receives 10% of the oil flow from the pump, the other 90% passes through the full-flow filter and the oil cooler matrix.

It works by using two jets of oil in the base of the filter cartridge to spin the centrifuge at up to 15,000 rpm. The inner surface of the rotor cartridge captures the particles as oil is thrown against the walls by the centrifugal force, and builds up a sludge.

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

cartridge

Are you *absolutely* sure that anything other than the 'o' ring is replaced? I ask because although I have not serviced a TD5 centrifuge myself, I have serviced industrial centrifugal filters from the same manufacturer and the only service needed is the removal of sludge and dirt residue. There are no routinely replaceable filter media in the ones I have seen. If you have actually changed a media in a TD5, I would be greatful if you could post a description. I take an interest in such things for no good reason. Sad!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks for the input. I shall pass the info onto said mate. Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Indeed - two mails on the screen at the same time! Oops...

If I remember right one should be changed every 12,000, one every

60,000 - I can't just find teh appropriate book to say which is which!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yep, you have to change the centrifuge cartridge itself, it's part number ERR6299 and comes with the o-ring as well.

I haven't got a photo of it on my website, but I've found one on disco2.com:

The cartridge is the bit inside the alloy pot in the top photo in the Oil filter section. It's got 6 radial depressions in it, a hole through the middle through which the post it rotates about goes through, and a pair of nozzles underneath at an obtuse angle to the base and the oil escaping from these cause the filter to spin.

Oooh I've just found a photo of it being disassembled (japanese site):

By the look of the sludge it works quite well!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

"> Are you *absolutely* sure that anything other than the 'o' ring is

You surely don't expect a dealer mecha... sorry, 'technician' to get his hands dirty cleaning something do you?

Looking at the pics on the jap site, all that is needed is to clean the sludge out, there is, as you say, no actual filter media inside the cartridge.

Reply to
SimonJ

centrifuge

Thanks for the links. ISTM though, that the part should be able to be cleaned. Are you sure that it has to be changed or is the LR dealer making a quick buck by selling new parts that are not needed?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It *definately* should be replaced at the specified interval.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

greatful

things

Being cynical and knowing that they can be made to be easily cleaned and reused long term, I have to conclude that this situation is just a profit opportunity for dealer and manufacturer.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:20:01 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

'course, it might be that they can't trust the dealers to do a proper job of cleaning it...

there are other aspects, mind. By replacing it, presuming it's not ridiculously expensive, you *know* it's clean and it takes, presumably, quite a short time. The process of cleaning it inevitably takes longer and may not be done correctly. Now if you're an enthusiast who does your own servicing, you'll not count the time involved, and certainly not at main dealer price rates. There are also health connotations, I expect - no doubt the sludge is hazardous waste, which in a main dealer environment would in theory have to be properly dealt with, though that's probably not a major consideration.

I might draw an analogy with the filter screen unit from the bottom of a ZF

4-speed auto. The filter screen can, undoubtedly, be cleaned, but it's a lot of faffing around, since it doesn't come apart, and involves washing it with large amounts of more or less harmful solvent, and when done, you have no actual guarantee that it's as clean as a new one. For the enthusiast, it's worth playing with if he has the necessary solvent and time. in a dealer environment, the extra time and material used would very quickly outweigh the cost of a new screen (£25 retail, last time I got one).
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well it's your engine........ ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

filters

cleaned

Most of the ones I have actually worked with just come apart to be easily wiped clean with a paper towel. The residue varies from sludgy to near solid. It is not just used on engines, it is also used on transmissions to excellent effect.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I think about 10% of the oil circulating in the engine is bypassed through the rotor. The rotor has to be raplaced every 10000 km, the cartridge every 60000 km (on a Td5 Defender). You can work the miles out for yerself.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

There's lots of Special Waste generated in car dealerships and they have to have proper means of disposal. This generally means a commercial waste company collects it on a milk-round basis and then ships it to a Special Waste Transfer Station. There's lots of paperwork with the Environment Agency to deal with as part of this process.

I don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if any of the fluids from a car service/repair were anything but Special Waste. On July 16th the new Landfill Regs came into play and the cost of Special Waste disposal quadrupled overnight. That is, of itself, an argument to reuse filters rather than put them in the ground. It is also, BTW, a very good reason to spend a lot of money on a system for waste tracking to drive a waste reduction programme.

But I digress of course...

:-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

If they use bypass oil (from the pressure limiter?) can they be retro fitted?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

sludgy

retro

The ones I know of have all been factory fitted. If there is a version for remote mounting then I can see no reason why such a thing cannot be retrofitted. You may know that they have a disconcerting noise on shutdown, rather like a jet engine shutting down only quieter. Lovely things as far as efficiency and operating cost goes, unless they are the Land Rover version apparently.

Huw

Reply to
Huw