changing disco front discs

this weekend weather permitting I am planning on changing the front pads and discs on my 300tdi disco, I foresee two possible problems. when the hub is off the axle what's the best way of holding it whilst I undo the disc bolts? I have read horror stories of how hard it was to remove the disc from the hub, I have a lump hammer but no access to a press, any tips on removing the disc's?

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Paul, I'm probably preaching to the choir here but, don't forget to re-pack your wheel bearings as well. An additional note, please be careful if you have ABS. Those sensors are a pain to set in the proper mode if they get knocked.

Anyway, there are special tools from LR to make the task of changing the rotors much easier. I've heard of folks using a large gear puller to remove the rotor. However, I don't know how they keep from damaging the spindle or bearings.

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

Hi no its not got ABS, points about repacking grease noted.

Reply to
Paul

I always forget the new gaskets, so don't forget the gaskets!

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Bolt the hub to the wheel and put it flat on the ground.

A copper mallet or one of those "dead weight" (lead shot filled) wuld perhaps be better, but as long as you hit the (old!) disk rather than the hub it shouldn't be too difficult

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Nigel uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Recently done ours, 300 shape V8 ES.

No abs stuph noted on the front but rears had rings on the disks.

I stuck the old disk in a big old vice I have laying around and clamped it up then set about using the appropriate levels of brute force to remove the disc. Gemmi, Big old cold chisel and a v large hammer did the trick.

Tidyed up the stub with some light sand paper and a little lubricant before fitting the new discs by tightening each bolt in turn working the way around in a similar manner as precribed when tightening wheel nuts.

Intrestingly the rears were much easier to remove and not remotely stuck fast.

As for the gaskets, It didn't have them on the front when removed but I put them on when refitted anyway.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Works for me

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

See thread on this group about 6 weeks ago titled "Disc change". Separating the disc from the hub is easy.

For disc bolt loosening - if you do not have a vice you can re-attach a wheel as Richard suggests but it may not be necessary. I usually just kneel on the disc. The bolts are not particularly tight and will usually succumb to a shock with a breaker bar. Make sure that you have a good tight-fitting socket though - if you round the heads off you've made a lot of work for yourself!

The caution about bolt heads is probably even more important for the calliper attaching bolts. If you mess them up before the calliper is removed you're in real trouble. I'd advise having spare bolts to hand.

Re-pack hubs - it's just as important to replace the seals.

ABS sensors - you'd have to be very ham-fisted to disturb these. You don't need to touch them. It's only an issue on the rear as Lee mentions so you don't need to worry. The front ABS sensors are in the upper swivel pins if you were wondering.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:49:32 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

My experience is to support the disc on a couple of blocks of wood, put another block on the top of the hub and welt same with a big hammer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles