Changing front brake discs.

I'm changing the front discs on my 98 tdi at the weekend (Aus $ 88.00 each from local Landrover dealer)

Can anyone tell me what size the lock nuts are on the drive shafts as I will have to try to borrow a suitable spanner.

Also is it necessary to replace the oil seals as they show no sign of leaking.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Reply to
Simon Mills

If you mean the hub nuts thay're 52mm AF

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

As an aside you'll need a box spanner or socket as a spanner wont get in.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Also the disks are held onto the hub using those star shaped bolts (sorry, don't know the proper name except I don't think it's Torx). At least they were on my 91 Disco.

Smear a little grease or oil on the oil seals before you slide the hub assembly back onto the stub axle so they don't snag. I saw no need to replace mine, at least on the front, but I did have to do the back ones.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

Don't know the name either, but you just use a normal 12 point multispline socket on them - nothing fancy.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

On or around Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:18:56 +0000, William MacLeod enlightened us thusly:

not torx. Torx are the 6-point internal star shaped things. The 12-point ones fit a 13mm 12-point socket, ISTR, I think they're known as splined. There are internal ones thusly as well, and external torx.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for the info.

No mention of Torx bolts (for want of the correct name ) in my copy of Haynes but will make sure I have the right tools just in case.

Reply to
Simon Mills

Hi Simon, the big nut can be removed using the standard "big nut spanner" that LR Spares in Middleborough Rd sells. It is not only the correct size but also nice and long (about 100-155mm) so gets in nice and easy on all the LR hub nuts. Not expensive if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

I done mine recently, just used a hammer and punch to loosen mine. They are not tight and if you are careful, you will only leave a little dimple on the nut. Leave the seals, but watch you do not damage them when putting the hub back on. I cannot believe that I am the only one to do this job without the spanner/socket. The end result is the same. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz