changing water pump

Hi All,

I'm about to change the water pump on my 200tdi defender. The HBOL recomends sealing the bolts on the new pump with a 'suitable sealant'. I came across a website somewhere that recomended silicon sealeant?

Is this correct? what should I be using? any other advise?

thanks in advance, G

Reply to
Gromit

Not silicone sealant. Look for something designed for automotive use. To be honest, I'm surprised the _bolts_ nead sealing if you're using a good gasket and a smear of Hylomar or similar, but it wouldn't hurt as long as you didn't get any gunge on the threads.

Reply to
David G. Bell

One or two of them are prone to getting water in and rusting, causing untold grief when the pump needs to come off. Whatever you use, just make sure it's not going to make things worse by "going off" over time or due to heat.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

[...]

snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk : Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done : Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!! : Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Thanks to all who replied. Changed it over the weekend and all seems to be well for the moment.

Gromit