charity calendar - update

Bad news folks, I today recieved an email copied below. Your thoughts folks would be much appreciated.

************************************** Dear Mark,

My apologies for the delay in replying.

Thank you for your interest in Breast Cancer Campaign and while, we really do appreciate your fundraising initiative, I am afraid that we will have to decline your support in regard to the calendar.

We have given this very careful consideration and browsed your website, and found an image of topless model. Although, we understand that the models will be clothed in the pictures taken, we need to take in the views of our supporters.

Once again many thanks for thinking of us and all the best with your project.

Kind regards

Colin Norford Community Development Manager Breast Cancer Campaign

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Eh? My mother in law has had a mastectomy, what in the name of god is wrong with naked breasts? She was in favour of it?

What about Marie Curie, my dad died in one of their hospices, superb work, superb folk.

Well, whats your view Mark?

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

My initial thought was 'f*ck them all to hell !!!' but I'm going to open up for suggestions and then put them into a poll and invite votes from the people involved, then offer it to the charities in order of votes.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Yeah, sounds good.

Pretty poor attitude from the breast cancer folk. After all, aren't they the ones parading up & down in their bras at the drop of a hat??

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

their loss is another charities gain. if anyone wants to suggest a charity post in this thread.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

MVP came up with the following;:

F 'em. If a breast cancer charity don't want to be involved with someone who has naked breasts on their website then they can F right off, I reckon.

I've read the rest of the thread, and I nominate Macmillan Nurses. They did a sterling job when my dad died.

And, or as second choice, RNLI, who have saved a member or two of our family in years gone by.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Well, if we take a moment to think about this, well intentioned as I'm sure it was, there may possibly be some negative publicity as a result of such an association. Any charity which has such a focus needs to be very sensitive to the broader issues - I wouldn't really focus too much anger at them politely declining your offer - they have to be aware of all potential circumstances and you of all people should know how the tabloid media can sometimes skew the facts.

A little sensitivity goes a very long way :-)

I'd suggest a neutral charity, such as Air Ambulance or the Alzheimer's Society.

Reply to
Mother

No, not really. They're the people trying to support women during what is probably the most frightening time of their life. Many of those women will die as a consequence of their cancer.

I can see why the charity is being cautious and sensitive to the needs of their client group.

Reply to
Mother

Exactly, they do a great job, but having first hand experience of this & other cancers. My Dad died of liver cancer, but he nor any of his family would be offended by a feature with any of that kind of thing on it?

But, it's their loss Martyn.

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Same here, I'll second that & Marie Cure too.

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

yea, that was my initial thoughts, rationality has since taken over. They know their business far better than I do. the fact that last year half a dozen models I know personally did a fund-raiser for them which they were happy with and these models are all best known for their nude work is no concern of mine.

Air ambulance is a good one but the charities are all regional, Alzheimers is a good one. will make a note of it.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Both noted. I'm particularly 'for' the RNLI, from my house I overlook a lifeboat station and I see some of the sea conditions they go out in, and it's not their job, these guys are all volunteers. balls, big brass ones.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

My mum died from cancer in a hospice, so anything to do with either is fine by me.

Reply to
Simon Barr

It's another sign of society's decline back to Victorian closed-mindedness as we demonise anything that can be seen to be 'not usual'. So, being an artistic photographer now precludes one from contributing to the fight against cancer, as clearly Mark is 'a bit strange' and therefore his money isn't good enough for them (or more likely the individual who wrote to him and hasn't got the nouse to find out exactly what it is that Mark does).

I like the quote "found an image of topless model", as if it was some great discovery. If Mark just sent them £100 anonymously they'd surely just bank it, but now they have 'found the images' (!!) his money isn't good enough. Senseless.

I'm running the Great North Run this year in aid of BLISS. However, I have pictures of babies and young children on one of my websites, so perhaps my contribution won't be welcome.

We've banned fox hunting, handgun ownership and T-bone steaks; driving a 4x4 is next, along with fishing and anything else that involves actually 'doing something'. People can no longer accept that anyone can be different to them, so we retreat to the lowest common denominator of Daily Mail values and TV dinners. Rather than try to understand, educate, accommodate or learn, we just ban the bloody thing.

Just a thought to take to the polling station today....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Are they all in the same pickle as The Great North Air Ambulance Service? That currently has two of its three helicopters grounded because of a shortage of donations. So that AAS would get my vote but I could be biased, living in an isolated and remote area of Cumbria and the Cumbrian aircraft is one of the ones currently grounded...

As to the polite rejection from the Breast Cancer Campaign, that is their choice, plenty of other charities out there. I don't have any direct experience of cancer, all our families are free of it (so far, taps head). Marie Curie hospices and/or the RNLI get my vote.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mountain Rescue ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

As a point of fact, their last communication was for more information which was over a month ago, this reply I had today was in response to an email I sent this morning asking what was what as I'd not had a response. In short, they didn't bother telling me until I prompted them.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I would suggest the RNLI - national, all volunteers, and doing a bloody dangerous job in a selfless way. They get my money every time (apart from the stuff I covenant otherwise).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Lowland rescue?

Reply to