Chassis de-rusting and treating

I am looking into getting the rescue vehicle (Y-reg 110 TD5) chassis cleaned up and treated against rust, as we, being a coastal rescue team, end up on the beach a lot. I was considering waxoyl, but have heard that on a chassis with rust, it just covers it in and the rust continues to... rust (typing and thinking...)

Anyone know of any firms that would do this sort of strip and treat in the Newcastle upon Tyne area, as we really don't want the vehicle to be off station for too long.

Cheers

tvlb.org

Reply to
Detrious

Twas Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:37:03 +0100 when Detrious put finger to keyboard producing:

As it's fairly new, I personally think you should talk to this guy

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I've tried all sorts of rust preventers - old chip oil, waxoyl (refined old chip oil), plastic spray on sealants, etc. etc. I've just started using POR15 which seems to take the lashing that sand and salt on the beach give the underside of the hire vehicles I have.

The POR Hardnose paint has yet to be sand blasted off the first outriggers on a Series LR. Previous attempts at covering this would see a shiny bald piece of steel after about 50kms of driving on the beach.

Fairly easy to apply both the POR15 and the POR Hardnose paint with a brush, plus its possible to get an adaptor to spray the inside of the chassis after giving it a good clean out and dry.

Reply to
Roger Martin

POR came up on here a couple of weeks ago. Do you prep the chassis then paint with POR 15, then overcoat with hardcoat ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Basically I just extended the bare metal on the outriggers, gave them a wire brushing to remove the worst, put my "mole" high presser cleaner up inside the outrigger to get the crud out. I used a blow torch to dry the outriggers as suggested by POR. Applied the POR15 to the surfaces I could get at and sprayed the inside - not sure how successful that has been. I then put the Hardnose paint on. I just wanted to see how the POR performed and so far so good.

The "mole" is a home made attachment that screws onto a high pressure hose and has one forward facing jet and three rear facing jets and it scurries up inside the chassis rails getting most of the sand and mud out. First time I used it there was a bit of rust scale as well as an amazing amount of concrete like lumps of mud.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Reply to
Hirsty's

Care to expand on how this was made? In the days when the council used to do these things for free*, I once had a drain blockage cleared by a similar device which had a bullet-shaped head which sprayed steam out of rear-facing jets and scurried up the pipe under its own pressure. It did a brilliant job, and I've often wondered about the feasibility of making a smaller one for chassis members etc.

Thanks

Rich

*i.e. it was paid for on the rates. Now you pay for these services (pest control is another one), but funnily enough the rates haven't gone down to compensate.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Don't bother, its like the Forth Bridge innit. :(

Reply to
Larry

There has been a lot of discussion about this on the LROI discovery forum,

Have a look.

B.

Reply to
Bruce

15mm dia brass rod Cut a thread on one end to suit the hose fittings - weird Chinese size not metric or Imperial so it took some fiddling. Drilled a blind hole the same diameter as the internal diameter of the hose fitting. Drilled a hole 1/2 the diameter of the jet hole in the lance supplied with the HP washer on the top of the rod. Filed three "flats" on the side of the brass rod so that I could drill into the rod at an angle of about 30 degrees.

The drills are VERY thin and unless you have every thing absolutely rigid in a vice they will break.

I used a lathe, mill, micro drill, angle vice, die set, end mill.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Thanks very much for the recommendation Mark.

Hi Detrious,

I guess you are all volonteers right? I cannot offer to do the vehicle free of charge because I would end up doing every mountain rescue, St. John's Ambulance Land Rover etc in the country free of charge :-)

However, I think it is very well known that the quickest way to wreck a Land Rover chassis is to use the Land Rover on the beach. How much beach use does it get? I know that the KLEENtect will stand up extremely well to this use so I am keen to do it for you. In exchange for you agreeing to give me some honest feedback on how it performs in the way of testimonials that I can use in my advertising - with some pictures of it (say in a year's time) I may be able to do you some kind of deal. You can e-mail me from my website:

Cheers Chris Parkinson

Reply to
Chris Parkinson

Wow! Cheers.