Cheap 2T trolley jack

I'm planning on buying a cheap trolley jack to keep in the 110 as I reckon it'll be easier to get it up on axle stands than using the standard jack.

My question is that the jack I'm looking at says it'll lift '2 tonnes max'. Will I be able to lift an end of a 110 with this?

Cheers, G

Reply to
Gromit

On or around 4 Jun 2004 01:21:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@allstate.com (Gromit) enlightened us thusly:

since the 110 weighs about 2800Kg fully laden, I conclude that a 2T jack will lift one end of it, yes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, but I have found a 2 tonne jack leads to a lot of effort on a Discovery. I'd go for a 3 tonne jack if I were you, when you're lying on the ground operating the lever in a confined space you'll be glad of it.

David

Reply to
David French

Take care, I have a 3 ton jack; only problem is it does'nt reach the underside at full stretch, so unless resting on a block or similar will not actually jack the damn car up at all.

John H

110 csw 300 Tdi

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hi

I use one and it only does any good with a block of wood to get the appropriate amount of lift. After using it for a little while on the RR I noticed that the seals were beginning to give a bit so I ALWAYS used axle stands with it. You can get jack and two stands from Makro for 9.99, but the bigger the better, and safer.

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

On or around Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:06:22 +0100, "Hirsty's" enlightened us thusly:

looks very like the one I have, although mine's not called clarke.

if you want one that goes taller...

but it costs more

Reply to
Austin Shackles

DON'T Buy the Brakspear one, it'll collapse first time U use it, I bought one, and threw it in the bin first time I needed to take a wheel off.

Nowadays, I have a bottler jack from a Scania truck, dunno what Scania truck, a lorry driver mate "donated" it, and I think it'll lift my 110, with me, the the wife, the kids and the wifes Vitara all on the roof rack, at the same time, and then recite poetry at the same time... Big faggin thang it is LOL... But SHINY and unused, till I got it ;)

Reply to
Me

When I had a 109 IIA-FC I bought a 5-tonne hydraulic bottle jack. They're lot easier to carry than a hefty trolley jack and it lifts straight up and down rather than on an arc as with a trolley jack.

Reply to
PDannyD

Trying out PickItUpandShakeIt II ©, the ultimate Etch-A-Sketch killer app, Gromit screendumped :

Spend £70 ish on a long-reach 3t professional piece of kit. It'll last forever, never be stressed, won't fold sideways and will lift your entire vehicle no probs (apart from the balance problem) but it can go under the diff and will lift either end about 3ft. (Don't try this at home on a side slope,outdoors,midwinter(and they're real ones here) with an extreme susp kit fitted (hehe) My trolley jacks are One 2t standby (well, we have about 6 or 7, they seem to breed) One 3t trolley jack (and a couple of spares) One 7t trolley jack One 10t trolley jack One 15t bottle jack (backup ;-D)

Yes, I know I don't have a 3t long-reach but having changed about 20000 tyres, I've used them ('Lifetime' of private use about every 10days) quite a bit.

All the bigger ones were s/h - visit farm 'displenish sales' or your local auctions(the car and accessories-related ones, not the furniture ones)

If it's occasional use, a 2t cheapo will do (for a while) but a 3t professional isn't much bigger, will lift further for much less effort, less chance of failure and will be far more stable.

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

Twas 4 Jun 2004 01:21:27 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@allstate.com (Gromit) put finger to keyboard producing:

I have a 2 ton trolley jack (with a chock of wood for that little extra) that lives under my second row seats. I lift an end of the axle to change wheels or under the diff and place axle stands if I'm working under there (2 ton axle stands). It does seem to struggle with the weight but it always goes up.

Given the choice again I'd go for a 4-ton bottle jack (8 ton capacity = 4 ton safe working load) around £10 from machine mart, though I usually use a local shop.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Gromit

Reply to
Gromit

On or around Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:46:13 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

if it's sold as 8T capacity I'd expect that to be it's safe max load. it should also have a safety factor. I don't know how big, but there are probably roolz.

downrating it 50% is probably not necessary, especially as even if you lift one end of the vehicle, it's not much over a ton.

I've a 2T professional trolley jack (like the one mentioned in other post) and it does fine under LRs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:33:09 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

'course, if you meant one that's sold as 4T capacity then it might well take

8T to break it.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:46:13 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

actually, I reckon that if I wasn't short of cash, I'd like one of the high-lift trolley jacks, that go up to about 80cm, combined with a set of taller axle stands which I might have to make meself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check the 6t Axle stands that Difflock.com sell - I suspect they would fit the bill.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

The cheap jacks, of whatever basic type, are good for occasional use. But, while they'll be up to dealing with the specified weight, they may be less good for other reasons.

On any jack, how good is the jack-handle? Short or long, hollow tube or solid bar? How much control do you have over letting the jack down? For a trolley jack, what are the wheels like -- smaller wheels are less good, though it doesn't make a difference to the weight lifted. How high can it lift?

I have a Halfords hydraulic jack in the back of the Land Rover. It's good enough, but it isn't what I would use as a workshop jack. Something for a wheel-change, and it might be OK for getting an axle- stand under, but it's a little bit small. The "gearing" isn't comfortable -- short handle and small piston area.

Reply to
David G. Bell