Check Engine Light Reset & ABS Light, 96 Disco...

I have a Canadian 96 Disco 4 L Auto. A while back my Check Engine Light came on and I took it to a local shop for a check. The muffler was shot and apparently that set off the CEL, plus they changed the plugs.

I installed a Borla SS muffle and pipes, and now I want to turn off that annoying light, but I don't want to go back to the dealer to have the work done because I might need to get a 2nd mortgage ;)

I did a bit of web research and found a procedure on the DiscoWeb.org forum to reset the "Service Engine Light" by shorting the 2 prongs on the "Emission Maintenance Reminder" box inside the RH kick panel. I tried doing it, but it did not work... It's possible that the "Service Engine" and "Check Engine" lights are not the same thing, so the procedure listed in DiscoWeb does not apply to my problem...

I also read in a thread here that the ECU must be disconnected to put out the light. Can anyone tell me where the ECU is located, and if there are any relevant details about the procedure that I should know ?

Oh yeah, my ABS light came on this weekend but the brakes seem to be working fine. Normally this ligt comes on when I start the engine and goes out after the vehicle rolls for a few feet, but this time it stayed on. Anything I should look at ? I'm not sure of the condition of the brake pads, but would worn pads set off the ABS, or does the ABS indicator refer only to the ABS system ?

Thanks !

B@21

Reply to
Hambleton