Cigarette lighter-less?

Hi everyone, the cigarette lighter in my '95 Disco has stopped working. Unfortunately I use it to power the compressor to inflate my tyres, charge the mobile phone etc. I have checked the fuse which is alright. Then I checked the wiring from the fuse box to the lighter which is intact but no power. Everything else is alright but it seems that there is no power to the fuse box itself for this particular connection? Any hints or info which could assist me will as always be gratefully received. Have fun and long may we 4x4 on the roads of Britain.

Reply to
cyberwraith

Is it the mechanisim it's self? Or perhaphs the wire could have worked loose.

Any one know if the Loom in a Disco ES has sockets as standard for a cigarette lighter to go in the bottom of the centre console for the kids in the back.... I know at their age they shouldn't smoke but it takes their mind off the rattles ;-)

I'm looking to fit an extra socket in this location and this thread has got me wondering...would be nice not to have to wire it all up and just throw in a extra spec one off the halfrauds shelf.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The ciggy lighter socket(*) is normally shared with other things, the radio is common. Does everything else still work?

Have you checked that volts actually appear out of the wiring at the rear of the socket. TBH the ciggy socket is one of the most unreliable connectors I have ever come across, it's fine for it's intended purpose but for anything else they are total crap.

(*) The accessory socket at the back (DII) is a seperatly fused (25A) and non shared circuit, though does require the ignition switch to be in the Aux position to be live.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

thanks for the help so far folks. OK the cig lighter connection is OK, all wires connected no probs. We used a volt meter to test the circuit and it shows that no power is arriving into the fuse box connection for the cig lighter. There is only the cig lighter on the fuse according to the diagram but everything else is working fine without any probs. I have a nasty feeling that this is gonna get complicated and expensive??

Thanks cyberwraith

Reply to
cyberwraith

Keep going backwards as you have the diagrams... next port of call engine compartment fuse box I should think. Though if everything else is working it does sound like a problem in the passenger compartment box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, not at all. If all fails, and if it is really impossible to fix the broken connection inside the fuse box, then just run a wire from a point with high power output (even directly from the battery) to the socket, just do not forget to place a proper fuse right after the place you connect your wire :)

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Thanks for the help Ralph, I will be going into the wiring again on Tuesday so I will let you know what happens. Take care folks and thanks again, keep the thoughts coming though someone else must have had this trouble too?

Reply to
cyberwraith