Classic Range Rover Rear Wheel Arch Replacement Questions

Hi all

1989 4 door RR had failed MoT :-( Not a lot wrong - major item is a rotten rear wheel arch :-)

I have two main questions - I can locate a repair panel from a number of outlets but nobody seems to know if the same one does 2 door and 4 door models? Anybody know if 2 and 4 doors share the same rear wheel arch?

Any tips on removing the old one and welding in the new one? It looks like a simple but time consuming job - any tips welcome

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Hi Andy

I've had a look under the mud and crap - floor and inner wings seem fairly intact - any problems there look like they will be overcome with a bit of sheet steel and some bashing, the wheel arch is beyond my tin bashing abilities and is £39.50 from Paddocks so I think I will give one of those a go.

I'm wondering if the outer wing panel is a simple job to remove? Looks like it but is it really??

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

I'm not so sure with a 4-door. On a 2-door it's a row of self-tappers along the top edge from inside the body and a few pop rivets to drill out alongside the tailgate and on the door pillar - oh and a couple of bolts underneath on the mudflap support and the sill trim - again more time than effort.

Reply to
AndyG

Hi Andy

It's the same on the 4 door (I managed to find the pdf of the workshop manual that I carefully lost a while back)

Wing off will help loads - until the repair panel gets here I'm unclear as to how much of the old stuff I will have to cut away but I am also going to have to bodge up some extensions to the floor I reckon - the floor itself is fine but the panel to either side is, well, err - absent|?

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

If they are really bad, to be quite honest it's probably easier to buy those 'floor side panels' than to spend hours fabricating them ... unless it's only simple sections that need replacing. Bear in mind you've got to chop the wheel arch out anyway so that's half the floor-panel section removal job done already ... Admittedly the floor rivets will have to come out (more time again but very little money) but then is the flange that the aly floor is riveted to complete or has that corroded away as well? Take a really good look *then* decide what to do.

Once you've got this far you'll kick yourself later if you save a few quid and don't do a good job now.

Reply to
AndyG