Climate control/air con not working

Just been out in the Disco (TD5 Y reg) and the air con aint cold at all. I can see the problem just need to know where to look to solve it.

When the engine is running the compressor outer turns ok (the bit with the belt over the top of it it) but the inner bit stays still (you can turn inner bit ny hand when engine is off) I remember reading in one of the LR mags that this inner bit is a magnetic clutch of sorts which pulls in when the A/C is turned on thus turning the pump.

All fuses look ok so far, any obvious things to check??.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Its probably the same problem I've got in my P38...there's a fix whereby you remove the inner bit and there's a shim behind it which you simply remove, then replace the inner bit....but I can't seem to remove that bit as when I try to undo the nut, the whole thing just turns..

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

It's not hot enough for the compressor to be required to chill the incoming air?

Turn the temperature settings right down to LO and that will force the compressor on and the air to be chilled.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is there any gas in the system? That'd be my first port of call. There are two pressure switches that if there's no gas, the compressor won't kick in.

Kwik Fit, etc, do AC recharging now, but if you look for your local "man in a van" type operation, they should be able to sort it for you. Shouldn't be expensive if it's just gas as a 2001 Disco will use R134a which is normally around £25-40 for a vac, dye and re-gas.

Reply to
Pete M

That's right - the clutch will only pull in in response to the thermostat which regularly makes/breaks even in hot weather. Worth checking that first.

Reply to
jg

I'll second that diagnosis.

Reply to
EMB

I'd still force the system into full cooling with the temperature contro= ls to check before calling a man out or taking it to an aircon place. It ma= y well be out of gas, mine is but to be honest last year there was only about two or three days when it would have been nice to have it working.=

Interesting that a vacuum, regas with dye should be less than =A350. LR =

Dealers charge =A3100... I'll have to check what they will provide for t= hat =A3100, confidence is high that the reason there is no gas in mine is 'c= ause one of the pipes has a hole in it. I brought one of the cans to top up your system with a pressure gauge, all was going well the pressure was rising bits where getting cold then the pressure dropped and refused to =

rise much any more and soon fell back and the pipe waork soon warmed bac= k up. Feeling round the pipes there was one *very* cold spot just near whe= re it goes through a retaining clip covered in corrosion... Now if the LR dealer will get it working and replace the pipe for =A3100, that is a be= tter deal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll third it :) No gas = no operation. Had that on the D1 and my previous L322.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Any reputable business regassing the system will replace the receiver/dryer when they do the job. That may well account for the price difference.

Reply to
EMB

Our LR dealer charges you more than that...and then drops it off at the local A/C place!!! I cirumvented that little rip off when I spotted them - only £60 from the actual source :rolleyes:

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Possibly but I'd be more inclined to believe Mr Brownlee's experience an= d if it gets taken to a "reputable business" they'll do that anyway... Having said that I only needed the aircon two or three days last year today has been a little warm but OK with the window open... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me too, but instead of just getting a re-gassed I'd ask them to check for leaks first - no point filling it up if the damn thing just pisses it all out again. You can have a small enough leak so that once the gas is re-charged, it will work for a while, and seems 'fixed', but later on it stops again. Had that on my Disco, despite asking them to check for leaks before charging - I only found out about 1 month later that they hadn't bothered after it stopped working again! They then diagnosed a leak, I wasn't a happy bunny.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

That's why I said "Vac, *dye* and regas".

The dye's not in there just to make it pretty, y'know... :-p

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Wed, 07 May 2008 14:07:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

That's my take. If I lived somewhere with a really warm climate, I'd probably fit it, especially to work vehicles. in this country, I'd only use it about 4 times a year.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The place I go to charge £20 for a full system check, *IF* it needs re-gassing or repairing they will tell you, and the £20 is refunded when you go for the work. Seems ideal to me :)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

COOL! ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah, I'm not up on all these fancy technical terms! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

One more thing to check, if it has an outside temperature gauge, is it reading accurately? My P38 sometimes displays 0°C and the little snowflake symbol on the HVAC unit - if the car thinks it's freezing out it won't switch on the AC. Switching the ignition on and off a couple of times normally brings it back to life - ice cold, refreshing, lovely chilled life...

Reply to
Pete M

I've just driven a Toyota MR2 120 miles with the roof down. I now resemble a Frazzle. Aircon is gods own gift and should be used whenever the temperature gets above 21.5°C.

Reply to
Pete M

It's also particularly useful when getting into the vehicle on a sunny day when it's hot enough to melt rock inside, the "climate control" in my old audi just whacks on the cold air until the earth cools and life can begin to exist on the surface.

I've just come back from an off-roading holiday in Wales and could have done with air con in the pinz, sitting on top of the engine in a truck that's spent all day in low range can be hot sometimes!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings